News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Avalanche] - using TSOY for the first time

Started by pells, May 08, 2006, 06:43:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pells

I've played again last night, continuing our adventure and playtest of Avalanche. But this session was special since we changed system.

The premise
We've been playing together this campaign for over 15 sessions now, using d20. In our last session, facing a problem we couldn't solve with this system, we had decided to switch for TSOY. There is a strong group dynamic within the players and the transition shouldn't cause a problem.
As to save time, I've decided to do the translation from d20 to TSOY for the PCs before the players arrived. That way, we wouldn't lose too much time ; I only had to explain the rules. One thing : the transition wasn't that easy to do. For one thing, in TSOY, I discovered that the PCs were strongly versatile, much more than in d20. They didn't look much alike anymore. Also, they were level 7 in d20. I've built their PCs with 10 advances and offer them 20 experiences (2 advances) at the beginning, so they could add this to their PCs, as to compensate for my decisions. But is 12 advancements enough ? They seem less powerful, especially the cleric (note that the player is an experienced one, and always try to bargain with me).

The game
I'm quite sure with didn't play TSOY exactly by the book. I've read the rules twice, some of my players once, but I'm sure we forgot some of the things or played others wrong. I'd like to present two scenes in which with roll the dices, thus used the system, and why I prefered TSOY for the prupose on my game style.
A battle
The players are fighting, by night, an ennemy which is quite powerful. This combat took us some time. We really discovered the system here. The narration done by the players were great !! This is easy for them to add details. We found this tricky at the beginning, but at the end of the encounter, the players were just there saying 'wait, this is for me to describe !!!'.
We found that the combat was very fast. This is not d20. You don't have 200 HP !! I think this also helps the narration. Since there are not many, tiny details (10 pts of damage, 15 pts of damage, 11...) to describe, but only major ones, the description tended to be dramatic. Each blow counted.
One last thing about this battle. The players wanted that NPC alive. This was always made pretty clear about their intentions. So, when they won the battle, he was still alive. I guess that in d20 this would have been more tricky : oh, too bad, he's -15 hp, with that last blow of yours... I know there are explicit rules for that kind of action in d20, but franckly, there are not exciting to use.

An interrogation
The players succeeded in taking the NPC alive. So, they wanted to interrogate him. I won't go into the detail of the narration, after all that was a torture scene, but I'd like to point out the things I liked.
So, one of the PC wants to break that character physically. I (the NPC) want ot resist and not speak. We roll dices, I win. Then the player asked what's going how now, what can I do ? That's when we decided to break down the pain (that was the very appropriate expression in that scene !!). That was very nice. We had a lot of time to narrate each other and add a lot of details I haven't planned on using. Also, one thing that might seems strange with TSOY, is suffering damage outside of battle. But this all makes sense, after all. At the beginning, the NPC succeeded again, so the player suffered damage. You could clearly see the torturer getting desperated to break that man. Maybe, it won't be able to break him. There was a real tension in that scene.
After it, we had that thougth in d20, that would have been one roll against constitution, or maybe a saving throw. That would have been less fun.

A note on the calendar
After all, that's what my product is about, so I'll comment on this. We didn't use much the calendar. In our session, we only played seven days, compared to 21 in our previous one. They met major NPCs, who had a long history before them (we are now 5 months into the calendar, so...). They talked with them, most of the game.  They discovered other plots and were facing choices. If you remember my last post, the PCs decided to go south, instead of following some major NPCs.
But I did use the calendar in a tricky way. For some reasons, the plot the PCs were on, was ahead two weeks in time. As long as they stay in that plot, the calendar was two weeks behind, but for the purpose of that plot only. As the PCs changed plots, they came across events that were not part on the 'bugged' plot, so, for that new plot, the calendar was in order. As for the other plot, things would go slower (transparent for the players) and get back on track for the end of the chapter.
Now, that may seem obvious, but it's important. Sometimes, using the calendar, a DM might want to push things faster, maybe just because the PCs are there, and he wishes to offer them this cool story. That's fine with me. But even then, it is not all the calendar that advances, just some part of it. And with the design of Avalanche, this is very easy to manage.

Wrap up
TSOY is great fun. We all have to reread the rules, but we know it's worth it. It is clear for our group that we won't play d20 anymore. We don't throw more dices, only for two scenes in this sessions. We don't call for the rules more often, but I do sense that when we do, it's more fun, more exciting to play.
And two last things :
I've played Avalanche with a white wolf like system, d20 and TSOY. System does matter, but from the point of view of Avalanche, I'm more and more convinced that honestly, you can really choose your system.
I'm also glad to see that it's very easy to change system during the course of play. This is a not big deal. At least, for how we play, the system is really behind the characters. The PCs are really more than just stats. The mechanic is there to represent them and not the opposite.
I won't hide it. One of my goal for Avalanche is to see d20 players play this campaign. I believe the structure of Avalanche will change the way they play. And so, I hope they'll take the next step and change systems. And remember, as I sell Avalanche thru a website, changing system doesn't cost a dime. You just need to change an option of your game. You don't need to buy another book. Well, surely one for the new system, but for Avalanche, no.
Sébastien Pelletier
And you thought plot was in the way ?
Current project Avalanche