News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Fencing system: crunchier extended constests?

Started by Barna, May 08, 2006, 09:00:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Web_Weaver

P.S. to above,
My HQ game is ship based with an occasional Swashbuckling style, and the game system has always produced the appropriate flavour.

Mike Holmes

Yep, simply augmenting as appropriate from very detailed school keywords, now that I can say will work extremely well. Good stuff.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Barna

In the flavour text for 7th Sea swordsman schools, each style is given a supposed weakness, although this is never explicitly addressed in play (that is, there are no mechanics for it). Besides the 4 maneuvers and 3 style abilities, I intent to give each school a weakness ability which can be triggered by the GM (ot the player, if the knows the opposing style) as an augment to the attacker. However, I´m not sure how I can combine this with the notion of players becoming more experienced in fighting against one style or the other.

One idea if to have the style´s flaw ability start at 13. If a character buys the "Know XXX school weakness" ability, whenever he fights an opponent of that school, his score in this ability replaces the opponent´s score in his flaw. For example, if my character has "Know Aldana school flaw" 5M, all my Aldana opponents count as if they had their flaw ability at level 5M instead of 13.
"No era el hombre mas honesto ni el mas piadoso, pero era un hombre valiente"

Arturo Perez Reverte, primera linea de "El Capitan Alatriste"

soviet

Quote from: Barna on May 11, 2006, 02:35:27 PM
In the flavour text for 7th Sea swordsman schools, each style is given a supposed weakness, although this is never explicitly addressed in play (that is, there are no mechanics for it). Besides the 4 maneuvers and 3 style abilities, I intent to give each school a weakness ability which can be triggered by the GM (ot the player, if the knows the opposing style) as an augment to the attacker. However, I´m not sure how I can combine this with the notion of players becoming more experienced in fighting against one style or the other.

One idea if to have the style´s flaw ability start at 13. If a character buys the "Know XXX school weakness" ability, whenever he fights an opponent of that school, his score in this ability replaces the opponent´s score in his flaw. For example, if my character has "Know Aldana school flaw" 5M, all my Aldana opponents count as if they had their flaw ability at level 5M instead of 13.

You don't need to include any special rules to do this, the tools are already there in the system. Just give each style a distinctive flaw as an ability and a 'take advantage of opposing school's flaw' as an ability, and use them as positive or negative augments (or primary abilities, whatever). If a player manages to engineer a situation that really exploits his opponents School Flaw then give him an appropriately large modifier. Similarly, if players want to counter opponents being able to exploit their own flaw, or counter their counter, they should just buy a new ability eg. Falstaffian Backhand Guard or whatever.

Mark