News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

My Life With Master: question

Started by Kirk Mitchell, May 09, 2006, 06:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk Mitchell

Hey,

I'm running a session of My Life With Master soon with some of my friends, and I'd like to ask a question about conflicts with the Master. If the Master were to repremand their character or something like that, perhaps try and strike them, they are going to want to declare a conflict with the Master (its just the way they are). Should I get them to roll as if they were trying to disobey the Master, or something else? This makes the most sense to me, but I just wanted to get confirmation.

Thanks,
Kirk
Teddy Bears Are Cool: My art and design place on the internet tubes.

Kin: A Game About Family

Ron Edwards

Heh. My answer probably isn't definitive, but the fun part for me is that the Master simply beats the shit out of them. You know, no roll, no nothing. "He beats the shit out of you. Now go and kidnap that infant." Then you roll.

More seriously, you are going to have the group make up the Master, right? Because when you do that, you might be surprised at how willing the players are to have the Master be so damn awful, during play, that they intuitively understand that the Minion could never actually directly challenge/attack him or her, until they get enough Love.

I've observed this effect every time I'ved played, with very different groups. Not once has a player stated that their character will attempt to strike back or rebel at any level besides cringing and pleading to try to avoid a command.

Best, Ron

Best, Ron

Kirk Mitchell

Hey Ron,

You are exactly right! I did a test run with one of my players just to get familiar with the system and the setup, and we made this psychotic amateur psychologist who engages in twisted necrophiliac rituals. Now this player would have to be the most aggressive person in the group I've assembled. He fights everything. But as we discussed the game and the Master and the Minion (and he got to grips with the concept of narrativism and this style of game) he took on an entirely different tack. It was crazy. I've known this guy since high-school and I've never seen him like this before. Whether he was really into the game or not, he certainly go really involved and into the mindset needed to play his minion, who's Less Than Human (Invisible unless viewed in a mirror) made him utterly devoid of all human contact.

But I digress...

So yeah: "the master slaps you across the face, leaving a trail of scratches across your face from his myriad rings. Now go and fetch me that body."

Thanks!
Kirk
Teddy Bears Are Cool: My art and design place on the internet tubes.

Kin: A Game About Family

Ron Edwards

Glad to help. Paul combined the features of the game in such a way that the "missing corner" is very reliable.

Best,
Ron