News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[paladin] -- rules clarification

Started by Darcy Burgess, May 05, 2006, 07:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darcy Burgess

Our group is likely going to be playing a paladin game v. soon (open source rules, setting will be derived from Werewolf: the Apocalypse -- basically taking "warriors for Gaia" as a jumping off point and seeing what the group develops for an Order).

2 queries (these aren't going to hold up the game, but I'm curious regarding what Clinton intended):

1) the answers to the stat matrix ("what protects you", etc...) -- do these actually serve a mechanical purpose?  Or is their implementation left up to the group?  As far as I can see the text is silent on the topic.

2) re: "The Paladin in Action", step 5 (rerolls via animus).
The statement I'm curious about is "You may activate any Light or Dark Animus attribute that is applicable to the task."  The question surrounds the word "applicable".  Was the intention to mean "any animus attribute that seems to fit", or "if it's the active flesh attribute, then it's the active animus attribute".

as I alluded to earlier, I have my own thoughts on these points, but curiosity is a powerful emotion.

Thanks
Black Cadillacs - Your soapbox about War.  Use it.

Christoph Boeckle

This is how we played it (it was probably informed by older discussions on the board).

For the Flesh attributes, it's just colour. You use what the rules say you should according to Active, Reactive and Social.
For the Animus attributes, you justify their use via narration (so their row and column don't play a role when activating). You can activate an Active Roll with a Social Animus if the narration fits.
Regards,
Christoph

Darcy Burgess

Christoph --

Go figure.  The way you played it is more or less how I was planning on running things, with one slight tweak.

I'm thinking of making the matrix answers into criteria for bonuses, much like descriptors in Sorcerer.

Works pretty easily with the Flesh attributes, but I don't think that I'd do it with the Animus attributes -- that system is involved enough, I don't want to risk unbalancing it by monkeying with it.
Black Cadillacs - Your soapbox about War.  Use it.

Christoph Boeckle

Cool idea, tell us how it works!

Are you putting limits on the scope of the descriptors? Some can apply reasonably to most actions, while others are more precise.
Regards,
Christoph