News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Games On Demand - Whats it all about anyway?

Started by Kat Miller, May 15, 2006, 10:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Lehman

What Tony said.  I'm really excited about GOD as a thing unto itself, and also as a very needed pressure alleviator for the Forge Booth.  I want to make it work out for how you want it to work and not destroy it.

The way I figure it, if I'm using Games on Demand to run a game for three Polaris fans who've already bought their stuff:
1) That's no burden on me.  I like running Polaris.  It relaxes me.
2) I'm doing an important service for the booth -- four people who would be clogging up the space by chatting are instead off somewhere else enjoying themselves.

yrs--
--Ben

Justin D. Jacobson

I see where you're coming from, Kat. If the "no help" comment was directed to a perception that Tony was going to run out and buy postcards, I understand your point. Again, I'm not being defensive; I don't feel sleighted by the comments. It just seems to me that suggestions that can aid the cause should be solicited and considered. Obviously, it's up to you to decide what suggestions have merit and what suggestions might pose a potential problem, but wouldn't it be better for you to do that than to say no suggestions please?

In particular, the suggestions I made in the other thread would help create an aura around the event without drawing too large a crowd. Is there any reason I couldn't give a 10% off coupon for Passages to someone playing in a Passages GoD? Is that something you would discourage? Do you think doing t-shirts of some kind would potentially create a problem for the event? If anything it would be nice for GoD administrators to be easily identified by wearing something of that ilk.
Facing off against Captain Ahab, Dr. Fu Manchu, and Prof. Moriarty? Sure!

Passages - Victorian era, literary-based high adventure!

Paul Czege

Hi Kat,

16 seats and 2 tables is NOT a lot of space to fill at Gen Con.

To my thinking many of the Indie Games run better with 2-4 players.  Maximum play would be 4 small indie games running at the tables.

So potentially two simultaneous games at the same round banquet table?

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Jason Morningstar

Word. 

Definitely don't be shy about asking for anything you need - I don't see how what you are doing is a burden at all.  Ultimately it will drive both sales and goodwill if it works right, so it is in everybody's interest to make sure that it does.  I will be glad to lend a hand, run some games, or stay the hell out of the way as instructed!

Kat Miller

Quote from: Paul Czege on May 18, 2006, 02:25:10 PM

So potentially two simultaneous games at the same round banquet table?

I've asked for rectangle tables rather than the Round ones. 
Like they have in the board game room.  I thought that two games run simultaneously on the rectangle tables would be better than two run on one round table.  As far as I know I will have two long tables in an rpg room.

Ben -
I want the tables to serve so that you can bring people up to the table, I do not want the tables to be used that while pitching Polaris at the booth you are robbed out of 2 hours of potential sales because you get summoned to the Table.  Having read the Booth rules you guys have to do a half-day shift.  Being called up to the Game table is not really an option.

However, the part of the day your not supposed to be there, and you want to hang out at the god tables.  I'll be glad to seat you.   Bring some of the forge crowd with you.  Make appointments with cluster people.  "Meet me at the God table at 4, I'll run this for you."

That is how I want this to work.

Jason-

I'll have to check Gen Con rules about the Coupon thing.  The idea is sound, but there might be a Gen Con problem with it. If there is no problem with the Convention about this, there is no problem with me.
I love the T-shirt idea,  I just don't know if I can afford it. I haven't done any research into it.

-kat
kat Miller

Hans

Quote from: Kat Miller on May 18, 2006, 03:42:02 PM
However, the part of the day your not supposed to be there, and you want to hang out at the god tables.  I'll be glad to seat you.   Bring some of the forge crowd with you.  Make appointments with cluster people.  "Meet me at the God table at 4, I'll run this for you."

Just to make sure I (and Andrew and Thor and Thomas) understand the process here, the above should read "Meet me at the God table at 4, bring your generic tickets, I'll run this for you."  Right?
* Want to know what your fair share of paying to feed the hungry is? http://www3.sympatico.ca/hans_messersmith/World_Hunger_Fair_Share_Number.htm
* Want to know what games I like? http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/skalchemist

Paul Czege

I've asked for rectangle tables rather than the Round ones.
Like they have in the board game room.

Excellent. I had forgotten about those tables.

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Andrew Cooper

Quote from: Hans on May 18, 2006, 04:09:04 PM
Quote from: Kat Miller on May 18, 2006, 03:42:02 PM

Just to make sure I (and Andrew and Thor and Thomas) understand the process here, the above should read "Meet me at the God table at 4, bring your generic tickets, I'll run this for you."  Right?

That's the way I understand it.  I've been told to collect tickets and club anyone who doesn't have them with the GoD stick.  And I really, really like clubbing people.

TonyLB

So, in the interest of helping GoD fulfill its goals as smoothly as possible, two things:

• I'm fine with providing multiple pre-generated scenarios (batches of characters, some plot threads, some intro text) that are tuned to a two-hour time period (rather than the 15 minute time period my demo is tuned for).  Would this be useful to the folks at the table?
  • Also, I have the sense that a lot of the time in such games is spent (one might say "wasted") with everyone sitting around the table boning up on the rules.  Would it help to have reference cards of the major rules that players could bone up on (perhaps with the help of one of us eager beavers) away from the table, and then refer to at the table?  Or would that cut into the "on Demand" thing too much?
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Andrew Cooper

Quote from: TonyLB on May 18, 2006, 05:04:43 PM
So, in the interest of helping GoD fulfill its goals as smoothly as possible, two things:

• I'm fine with providing multiple pre-generated scenarios (batches of characters, some plot threads, some intro text) that are tuned to a two-hour time period (rather than the 15 minute time period my demo is tuned for).  Would this be useful to the folks at the table?
  • Also, I have the sense that a lot of the time in such games is spent (one might say "wasted") with everyone sitting around the table boning up on the rules.  Would it help to have reference cards of the major rules that players could bone up on (perhaps with the help of one of us eager beavers) away from the table, and then refer to at the table?  Or would that cut into the "on Demand" thing too much?

Tony,

I will take what ever playaids and reference material you can fling my way.  Capes is one of the major games I will be running at GoD.  I will also be doing Burning Wheel, TSoY and Sorcerer and Great Ork Gods (if someone wants a fairly quick, light-hearted game).  I will be downloading a metric shit-ton of material for all these games but any cool stuff from the designers is more than welcome.  After all, you guys have more experience demoing your games than I do.

Andrew Cooper

I just realized that I had a question that needed to be answered.  The GoD tables are there to assist/complement the Forge Booth, correct?  In this case, should we only run games that are being sold at the Forge Booth?  I ask this because I put in Great Ork Gods as one of the games I'd be willing/able to run but I don't think it is getting sold at the booth.

Kat Miller

Quote from: Gaerik on May 22, 2006, 01:27:05 PM
I just realized that I had a question that needed to be answered.  The GoD tables are there to assist/complement the Forge Booth, correct?  In this case, should we only run games that are being sold at the Forge Booth?  I ask this because I put in Great Ork Gods as one of the games I'd be willing/able to run but I don't think it is getting sold at the booth.

Good Question!

The Games won't be restricted to just the Games sold at the Booth.
Any Indie Games are welcome.  Some Games that aren't Indie, but also aren't "Mainstream" are also welcome.

The reason I don't want "Mainstream" games at these tables, is because there are so many other opportunities to play them.  If you want to run a Everway game which is not Indie - as its not owned and published by the designer, I'm allowing the Table Custodian's judgement on the matter. 

I myself will be offering Everway during my shift as Table Custodian. 

Use your judgement. 
-kat
kat Miller