News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Fastlane] Shirking favors

Started by Spooky Fanboy, December 20, 2008, 06:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spooky Fanboy

For some reason, the text of FASTLANE resists my reading comprehension.

What happens, in plain English, when I shirk a favor in game? And what would change in the game dynamics if players were simply forbidden to shirk favors?
Proudly having no idea what he's doing since 1970!

Spooky Fanboy

Okay, apparently from reading it again, the person owed the favors gets chips. How? Who pays them? The croupier? Or must the player "cash in" his character to make up the difference?

Spooky Fanboy

Lxndr

(This came up in a recent playtest. I'm hoping to make shirking more obvious in the next edition, and perhaps revise how it is approached.)

Let us create two characters: Character A and Character B.

Character A owes Character B a 5 point favor.

Character B walks up to Character A and says "do X for me."

Character A says "fuck no!" Thus, he is shirking.

The favor is thus erased. Character B gets 5 chips from the House, the ephemeral pool of chips that supplies lucky number chips and style chips.

----

If players are forbidden to shirk favors, then Character A would absolutely have to do what Character B asked. This more breaks the fiction than the rules, really.

Also, your rpg.net thread looks very interesting. I am reading through it now and I plan on commenting on it shortly.
Alexander Cherry, Twisted Confessions Game Design
Maker of many fine story-games!
Moderator of Indie Netgaming

Spooky Fanboy

Okay, so the House covers any Favors Shirked. Got it!

In my game, I wanted it so that any Favors Shirked by the Dealer would be "taken out of" the Dealer's Mojo stat. This means that the Dealer can't do Mojo until they somehow rectify the situation, or it's at least hampered. This is why I wanted Mojo as a seperate stat: because piling it in with any other stat would make the game too much about that stat, which would make characters a little too cookie-cutter for my tastes.

Spooky Fanboy

Any other ideas or responses, Mr. Cherry?

Lxndr

I can see why you'd have Mojo as a separate facet. (Nonetheless, I suggest: why not let players choose their magical approach, in terms of facet? This would give flavor to their style of magic - a People style Dealer would probably have very different rituals from a Guile style Dealer; just a thought).

No other ideas right now, other than I still adore the setting and approach. I'm interested to see how it'll evolve.

(I have a feeling I'd have more to say if I wasn't so invested in my upcoming surgery.)
Alexander Cherry, Twisted Confessions Game Design
Maker of many fine story-games!
Moderator of Indie Netgaming

Spooky Fanboy

Well, I certainly hope your surgery goes well.

I'll work on those settings a bit more, privately.