News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

short C&C session

Started by Jürgen Mayer, April 18, 2002, 07:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jürgen Mayer

It's 1:14 am and I just came home from a gaming session at our FLGS. I'm very tired and will keep this short. We played a game of C&C before our regular Last Exodus campaign.

The characters were funny and a munchkin's nightmare:

Human Mage with Strength over 90 and such a low Intelligence that he only got two spells. He could do nothing but break open doors.

Human thief, average stats, high Dexterity. Phobia: Tight Spaces. Favorite snack of Firehounds.

Gnome Thief/Priest. No Attribute over 20, most were around 10. Needless to say, he couldn't succeed at nothing. Phobia: Tight Spaces. Phobia: Darkness.

In room 5 they were overwhelmed by 4 Firehounds and didn't stand a chance.

Because we had two characters with Phobia: Tight Spaces, they had to fight over who gets to enter rooms first and leave rooms last (they don't like tunnels.)

Dav, the characters all had ACs between 15 and 40, are they supposed to be that low?

Off to bed.
Jürgen Mayer
Disaster Machine Productions
http://disastermachine.com

Ron Edwards

Hi there,

Dav, I renew my call to modify the Charts & Charts rules so that attribute matches class better. That disconnection you've got going currently has turned out to be the defining experience of play, and that doesn't match the whole goal of satirizing late-70s play.

My thought would be to roll on a chart that corresponded to which attribute was highest.

Best,
Ron

Dav

Ron and Jurgen;

Okay, so for Charts & Charts, I altered it a bit.  First, I made encounters not so deadly.  Second, I made a rule that says "you can swap any two attribute scores that you choose".  An alternate rule is to add +20% to the primary attribute for your class (fighter = strength, mage = intelligence, and so on).

And Jurgen, based upon my own quick game, and yours, I have upped starting AC to begin at +10% higher than previously established.

Dav

Ron Edwards

Ack! But Dav, that's not a Chart!! That's a patch! And Charts & Charts, its whole point, is that it's PERFECT because it uses Charts to solve everything!

Oh please, please, please, just have a separate roll-for-class table depending on which attribute is highest. That's so much more pure. It's so much more right. It's so ... arbitrary.

Best,
Ron

Dav

Ron;

You have a point.  I will modify everything so that you roll Profession, and that causes you to roll on specific charts for specific attributes.  

However, for now, I'll let the patch stand, because I won't be heading back to C&C for at least some time yet.  I have other games (that are fun) to work on first.

Dav