News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Retooling Drives & Exemplars

Started by Josh Roby, May 18, 2006, 03:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh Roby

Quote from: Eric Sedlacek on May 19, 2006, 11:36:03 AMI suspect that the potential for trouble, if any exists, lies in the ability to stake larger amounts of debt on one conflict.  Will you get to the point where people are staking dozens of points of debt on a single conflict?  If so, will this improve the play experience, be a burden to play, or neither?  I don't know the answer.

Actually, I don't think that will be a problem -- you can only split one die, right?  Which means, at worst, somebody is splitting a six down to six ones.  If that die had been split before, it takes five debt, which you can do with Capes as is.  If the die hadn't been split before, it takes six, which is only slightly outside the bounds of normal Capes play.

Now, admittedly, the next Page they could stake more debt from the same relationship.  Among other things, this is pretty dangerous almost to the point of not being worthwhile.  Staking four or five debt and getting back double means you have to stake four or five more to get out of overdraw, which is difficult, but doable.  Staking, as you suggest, twelve debt -- that's dangerously insane; that relationship might never get out of overdraw.  I'll have to think about that one; either something needs to be added to mitigate that (a cap on how much debt per conflict, or another means to burn off heavy debt overdraw) or it might be ignorable as a suicide tactic.

Quote from: Eric Sedlacek on May 19, 2006, 11:36:03 AMIt is an interesting idea.  I'm not sold, but I'm not categorically against it.    Most suggested mods I have seen for Capes are either trying to fix something that isn't broken or trying to make players do something they could do already if they actually wanted to.   This isn't either of those.  It's an attempt to legtimately do something slightly different.  I'm curious to see where the idea goes.

Thanks, I'm eager to see how it plays, too.  Unfortunately, the game won't be happening for a month or so, so I have to wait.
On Sale: Full Light, Full Steam and Sons of Liberty | Developing: Agora | My Blog