News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Burning Sands] Incorporating the Propagana War Effectively

Started by Judaicdiablo, March 01, 2006, 06:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judaicdiablo

From the Burning Sands rules:
"The Propaganda war is meant to supplement the situations played out in the game, not be the main focus."

One of the most engaging, but least defined aspects of Burning Sands is the Propaganda War.  It seems to be the key focus but it claims that it is not.  The explanation of how it is to be implemented leaves me wanting.  I have put forth the following rules for the Propaganda War for our group. 

Note:  My group had their first game last night and have just about finished the first exchange.  The exchange itself will be listed in an actual play.

When my group started getting ready for the game, we were so focused on the concept of the Propaganda War that we lost focus of the game.

I read through the stuff in these forums and there does not seem to be much in way of actual talk about the Propaganda War.  As such, I proposed the following rules in order to strengthen our understanding of how the PW and the scenarios will be used.

Each Scripting Exchange will have the following steps:

Step 1) The GM writes down the Jihad's Maneuver

Step 2) The Group decides on what Maneuver they should perform.

Step 3) If the GM's maneuver would simply negate the group's maneuver (for example the GM scripts a Dismiss and the group scripts an Avoid) then the GM just rolls his dice, the group takes the blow and then moves on.

Step 4) If dice will need to be rolled the group describes the maneuver that they are performing.

If the group wants to receive any forks, then they must use the appropriate skills in the scenario (see step 5) and be able to justify their use.

Step 5) Run the scenario (may take 5 minutes or may take all night)

The Scenario will be the group carrying out whatever op or action that fuels the PW Maneuver.

What the group does in the Scenario will determine if they are allowed to add any FORK dice to the Propaganda roll. 

Depending on how the Scenario goes it could "just" act as allowing a fork, or act as a linked test for the Propaganda roll.

Example one (simple):  We script an Incite.

Sir Averion goes on National TV and Orates about the evils of the Jihad.  OB2 he is allowed to add Orate as a Fork, or OB 3 to act as a linked test  for additional roles (Sir Averion would choose ahead of time.)  Sir Averion makes the Orate roll and then applies its effect to the Propaganda Master's Propaganda roll.

Example two (complex):  The Group scripts a Point.

They decide to do a raid on Jihad stronghold.

Part 1: The group meets with an informant in a dark alley who was found via a Circles test.  He has been followed and the group is ambushed.

The group has a run and gun.

Part 2:  The Group needs to acquire equipment and troops.

Part 3:  The Group performs the raid.

Depending on how everything goes, the group will then get a modifier to the Point Propaganda Roll and appropriate skills could be used as forks.

Step 6) Make the Propaganda Roll

Step 7) The GM describes how the populace reacts

Step 8) Downtime – If there is anything the group wants to do that is "extra" this is the best time.  This is also a good time for the GM to introduce other elements that the Group can react to or attempt to use (like the arrival of a delegation from 9 or the Sisterhood making a play of influence.)

Then repeat.

Thoughts.

--Brandon

visit my online portfolio at:
http://www.fusionofthought.com

Luke

Hello Brandon (and anyone else interested in BW macro mechanics!)

We've secretly been copying your every move.
http://www.burningwheel.org/preview1.html

You should check out Burning Empires when it comes out. We expanded the Propaganda War into a full blown strategic warfare macro mechanic.

-L

drozdal

Iskander

Winning gives birth to hostility.
Losing, one lies down in pain.
The calmed lie down with ease,
having set winning & losing aside.

- Samyutta Nikaya III, 14