News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

I love Evolve and wanna expand it.

Started by Altharis, June 10, 2006, 12:01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Altharis

Hey all, this is my first post on these forums.
I'm sorry if this doesn't fit, but I really like Zak Arnston's Evolve and wanna play test and expand it.
Is this copyright infringement, cause I don't wanna steal his idea, just expand it.
Thanks,
Altharis.

Ron Edwards

Hi there, and welcome to the Forge.

1. No, it is not copyright infringement. If you wanted, you could, for instance, put "inspired by Zak Arntson's 'Evolve'" on one page. You can see that Zak himself acknowledged the guy who gave him the idea. If you have any other questions about copyright, then you can check out some threads in the Publishing forum which have good links to the real legal information. Let's not talk about it here though.

2. Here's how to make this thread a great one. In your next post, tell us about a game experience you've had. Any system, long ago or recently, with whoever. What about that experience, in your opinion now, leads you to say, "I want to play Evolve"? What does Evolve offer that you wanted but didn't get from that game?

So everyone else can pitch in, here's Evolve.

Best, Ron

Best, Ron

Altharis

Well, I've been making Civ and Sim games all my life to play with friends, but one thing I noticed with all my games is that there was no environment, no continuity. In my civ games it was always "Meet empoverished but more technologically advandced friendly civilisation and fight off greater evil together." Boring. My friends could bomb the world with A-Bombs and next game it would be whole again.

The thing that impressed me with Evolve, was that what you do in the early stages of the game influences what you do and can do in the later stages. I want to expand that.

This forum is great, and I wish I'd seen it before.
Altharis