News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Story Engine Revised

Started by Valamir, June 08, 2001, 11:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valamir

Not sure what forum this is most applicable to, but since I'm sorta asking for a review I guess here is as good a place as any.

I currently have Story Engine (the small paperback version) but now see there is a new revised version out...which apparently is hefty enough to warrant slapping a hard cover on it.

I could not find on Hubris's site a summary of what's new and better about the "Revised" rules.

Anybody here familiar with the revision enough to know whether its worth "upgrading to"?  What exactly got revised?

Paul Czege

I haven't seen a point-by-point on the revisions, but my impression is that there will be both a hardcover and softcover of the revised Story Engine. The difference between the two, as far as I know, is that the hardcover will have six pages of bonus material. Christian wrote this description of the bonus material to the Hubris Games listserv back in March:

Hardcover details:  The hardcover version has 6 pages of "bonus material" at the end, making it a total of 148 pages long (3 pages of which are blank).  You can also get the bonus material off the give-aways page of the company site:

http://www.hubrisgames.com/pdf/sebonus.pdf
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Gordon C. Landis

I have the Revised softcover, so I know it's real.  When I get home and have the time (warning - that may be Monday night), I'll write up the contents.

Gordon C. Landis

BTW, it is very cool.  Don't know about in comparison to the old vers, but this is a pretty well put together book - not perfect (the organization/presentation of info could be better, IMO), but a worthy "professional" product.
www.snap-game.com (under construction)

Gordon C. Landis

OK, here it is - a quick contents list of my Story Engine Universal Rules Revised Edition softcover:

--A Preface and Introduction
--10 pages of Story Bones (the cut-down version - really not sure why it's in here)
--34 pages of the main Story Engine rules, major sections Characters, Scenes, Props & Sets, and Character Examples
--12 pages on "Running Games", where we learn the 3 sides of Narrating (Management, Adjudication and Storytelling), the 3 kinds of player (Story-oriented, Strategy-oriented, and Mechanics-oriented), explore "Fair vs. Fun", and generally get advice (pretty good, IMO) for the GM . . .er, Narrator.
--17 pages of The Maelstrom plug-in
--5 pages of the "Six guns & Whiskey" plug-in
--13 pages of fiction (didn't do anything for me, except maybe the Maelstrom story revealed some Premise opportunities in the setting - YMMV)
--10 pages of "The Airship Murders", a murder-mystery scenario that reads well.
--9 pages of "Dublin's Tomb", a Story Engine dungeon crawl, that also reads well.
--And, of course, a character sheet for copying, but since this is a small format book, I'd prefer to download the 8 1/2 x 11 version from the website.

That's it.  Can't really review it until I play it, but I like what I see.

Gordon C. Landis
www.snap-game.com (under construction)

Levekius

Thanks Gordon.

Did you get it in store or mailed ? Another game I can't find here :sad:

I have the first edition, not without mistakes, but good book. I contacted Christian once for some clarifications.

He seems very busy, but still managed to email a nice reply answering my questions.

I'm getting the hardcover as soon as I can find it. Hopefully in store :sad: