News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Monster Rules] A Third Outside Playtest

Started by Bill Masek, June 17, 2006, 12:55:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Masek

Matt,

Its been a while since my last response.  Just finished the job interview today so I can finally get back to other things in my life, like helping you with this game.  So, without any further ado, here is my response:

QuoteI need to make the grouping of minions simplified and easy for everyone to understand and use.

I just grouped all 20 minions and attacked.  It saved a lot of time.  It seemed effective.  However, there will be times when it is better to attack 20 separate times, then attack with one minion with a +19 bonus.  The downside to this is that it could get very boring.  So I was thinking of ways to make the "must attack 20 times" scenario less dull.

QuoteIf it seems your games are turning into slugfests--consider looking into the special abilities. They were created in part to avoid a dull I hit you for 2 points you hit me for 2 points game. Especially, if there is an objective that does not involve eliminating an opponent.

Actually, I loaded up on Special Abilities.  For example, the Butcher had this as his main attack power:

18 Weapon (d10+d8+2) Self Mutation:  Enhanced +2, expert, deadly, charge, blast, combo, unearthly, quick draw, equipment

9 special abilities.  It still turned into a slug fest.

I think the issue came from lack of maneuvering.  All well built characters will move really fast in this game.  As a result they can get to where ever they want in very little time.

Alternatively, it might come from the games basic complexity.  A lot of options means complex attacks.  Complex attacks take extra time to calculate and thus take more game time.  Add onto that the 5hit/damage rule (division), fatality rolls, calculating facing, halving powers and everything else that goes into combat, it can be a lot.  So even a brief slug fest will seem a lot more intrusive then it normally would.

QuoteI also used the 2 dice Fatality Roll rule (a character with Life 10 would roll 2xD10 to make a Fatality Roll). It made the game more fun, because all the main characters were wounded beyond their Life and had to start making Fatality Rolls.

I like this rule but I didn't see it in the book.  Fatality roles don't do much when you don't do 1 dice fatality rolls.

QuoteYou could capture them in any number of ways, knock them across the game board, trap them under some object that is too heavy for them to lift, etc.

Hmmm... I didn't see that in the rules.  So that character couldn't wiggle their way out of the car, or blast through the car, etc?

In the rules, you have special abilities which allow a character to shape and manipulate targeted powers.  What exactly does this do?  You mention that they can "create animate objects" does this mean they can summon an infinite number of minions?  Can they automatically trap enemies?  It would be a good idea in your next rules set to describe the specific effects the shape and manipulate abilities grant.

Best,
        Bill
Try Sin, its more fun then a barrel of gremlins!
Or A Dragon's Tail a novel of wizards demons and a baby dragon.

mratomek

Bill,

I have been swamped as well. I am trying to get the next rev of the rules out asap, that has a lot of the elements I have discussed that aren't in the current rules.

Manipulation allows you to turn any Energy or Elemental power into a telekinetic ability, something along the lines of a Green Lantern power. Ad shape to it, and it can do a whole lot more--but I need to be very specific about that.

20 Minions! Ouch!

Like I said, I will try to get to the rules over the weekend.

I apologize for not having the rev sooner.

Matt
MrAtomek

Once upon a time ... the Earth needed to be saved ... on a regular basis.

Super Force Seven
Tactical RPG / Miniatures Wargame

www.superforceseven.com

Bill Masek

Matt,

Nothing to apologize for.  I'll start the ball rolling on the next playtest when you have the new rules posted.

By the way, did you notice that our thread [Monster Rules] An Outside Playtest has the most posts of any thread in this forum?  And its one of the most viewed threads as well.

Anyways, drop a post when you have the next revision of the rules ready.

Best,
        Bill
Try Sin, its more fun then a barrel of gremlins!
Or A Dragon's Tail a novel of wizards demons and a baby dragon.