News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Supplement: Bestiary Plus

Started by Jake Norwood, April 29, 2002, 01:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake Norwood

Back when I said I was gonna set up bestiary guidlines I meant "I'll be putting an example up soon." So, now you all have two.

The guidelines are:
Short story/mood fiction for the critter/NPC/entry...if it isn't cool enough to spawn fiction, it probably isn't that cool.

Stats, as per my example, with notes for special cases

Notes on ecology OR mythology, whichever you want people to know.

Special game mechanics, if any.

An Adventure seed (optional).

Generally I'm looking not for "things to kill" but rather "things that can/will be important for a campaign or adventure." I want stuff that's beliviable and not over the top, although remember that the Siehe can get pretty weird. Just do your best to imitate that "Gritty TROS feel" that I keep on hearing about.

In short, I'm looking for quality and utility, NOT quantity. If there's only 30 critters in the book by the end, but you want to use every last one, then we got it right.

Also, put suggestions on this forum, or half-finished critters for discussion, but finished stuff goes to me via e-mail (norwood@theriddleofsteel.com). I'm looking for illustrators as well, to meet the large amount of art we'll need for this.

Yes, I'll pay, but only if I get consistent quality and multiple submissions. On the other hand I will do single submissions and work out deals with parties individually until we have a more concrete policy...just remember that if I pay you for any work, you'll probably be making more on it than me.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Nick the Nevermet

I'll have two critters done in 2 days.
Sorry about the delay.

Lance D. Allen

Is Hearne a go, or is he too powerful and vague to actually be considered a "critter"? If he's good, then I'll re-write him in a similar format to what you wrote your examples (story-form, et al).. If not, feel free to use him in any sort of mythology stuff you might do, considering that I didn't create him.

Also, if he's good.. Should I alter the name?
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Jake Norwood

Hearn is just fine. Try to give him stats, though, and for his dogs...it would be fun to let a character try to take him out...
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: Jake NorwoodHearn is just fine. Try to give him stats, though, and for his dogs...it would be fun to let a character try to take him out...

Actually, I was thinking of writing something for the bestiary for dogs (I worked with a vet for several years so I know something about them). I have some ideas for pack tactics for battle dogs, working together to bring down a foe etc.

I'm tossing up about making a set of crit tables for quadrapeds such as dogs, horses, and such animals, because their physiques are very different to bipeds. Is this something you would be interested in Jake, or is it just too many tables?
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Lance D. Allen

I'll respond with a writeup for Hearn soon, then.

As for quadrupeds, I think I remember seeing references to a hit chart for them, but never seeing one.. Am I stupid, or were there such references? Either way, I'd like to see hit charts for quadrupeds, as well as certain notes describing that for differing sizes, it may be easier/harder or even impossible to hit certain areas (Imagine a dwarf with a dagger declaring his strike for a shire horse's spine, after all). Just notes for the Seneschal to keep in mind, that's all.

Ooh, that also reminds me.. Been reading a Conan novel.. Are we allowed to steal unique monsters from other places? I got one from this book that would be perfect for RoS.. I'll post a writeup, and you make the call...
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Jake Norwood

Quote from: BrianLI'm tossing up about making a set of crit tables for quadrapeds such as dogs, horses, and such animals, because their physiques are very different to bipeds. Is this something you would be interested in Jake, or is it just too many tables?

You're welcome to, but don't do too much work! In truth, the existing tables could be modified for quadrupeds to some degree. If you want to put one together I can e-mail you the original word file with all the damage tables on them--that way you could cut& paste whatever is appropriate.

And I would *love* to see someone that knows stuff about animals (like a vet...) to write up stuff for any animals, especially dogs, horses, etc...

And again, I'm paying for sizable contributions to this project (just remember that I've got a real limited budget).

Jake

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: Jake Norwood
Quote from: BrianLI'm tossing up about making a set of crit tables for quadrapeds such as dogs, horses, and such animals, because their physiques are very different to bipeds. Is this something you would be interested in Jake, or is it just too many tables?

You're welcome to, but don't do too much work! In truth, the existing tables could be modified for quadrupeds to some degree. If you want to put one together I can e-mail you the original word file with all the damage tables on them--that way you could cut& paste whatever is appropriate.

And I would *love* to see someone that knows stuff about animals (like a vet...) to write up stuff for any animals, especially dogs, horses, etc...

And again, I'm paying for sizable contributions to this project (just remember that I've got a real limited budget).

Jake

OK, send me the file and I'll work on it. I'll work on entries for Dogs and Horses to start with, and then see where that takes me.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

contracycle

2300AD had some hit location diagrams for quadrupeds of several stripes, and birds etc.  Milleniums End has at least 2 for dogs, IIRC.

I would strongly recommend including such tables, because its annoying and interrupting to have to the extrapolation mid-play.  This is especially true if you are producing a relatively low number of critters which may be otherwise be well realised - it feels like an oversight.

I support all attempts to realise animals properly in RPG.
Impeach the bomber boys:
www.impeachblair.org
www.impeachbush.org

"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."
- Leonardo da Vinci