News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Sorcerer movie - who knew?

Started by Ron Edwards, June 25, 2006, 11:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Edwards

A Prairie Home Companion does very nicely as an example text for Chapter 3 in The Sorcerer's Soul.

If she had been a demon, then Guy's plan would have worked and the [deleted for spoiler] would have been saved. But she was an angel. The Good was served. She sympathized with the side of Humanity and even took action within the scope of her nature. But that doesn't mean he got what he wanted.

Best, Ron

James_Nostack

I have not seen the film, but I imagine that eating Powdermilk Biscuits gives shy people a +1 to all Will rolls for a scene.
--Stack

Larry L.

Wha-wha-whaaat?!

Some unholy juxtaposition of elements has just occurred in my head. I'll have to get back to you after I see the movie.

Ron Edwards

I am totally uninterested in reading posts by people who haven't seen the movie. Restrain yourselves, please.

Best, Ron

jrs

*Minor Spoiler*

Quote from: Ron Edwards on June 25, 2006, 11:28:30 PM
But that doesn't mean he got what he wanted.

But he does get exactly what he asks for -- his request of the Angel is to get rid of the Axeman.  Besides it is the nature of Guy Noir (Tod adds: like any Noir detective) to not get what he wants.

Julie

p.s. Did you notice that the Angel is referenced in the credits as "Dangerous Woman"?

Ron Edwards

Oh, I agree entirely. He gets what he asks for. He doesn't get (entirely) what he wants. And yes, this is very noir of him.

Am I reading you correctly, in that you agree that she matches the Angel concepts outlined in The Sorcerer's Soul?

Best, Ron

jrs

I don't find that the character contradicts anything in Sorcerer's Soul, however I don't see her as particularly embodying those concepts.  I would not have made the leap to consider this a Sorcerer-type movie.  I guess I can imagine Guy Noir as a naive sorcerer, but I'm not really seeing the threat to humanity that I would associate with Sorcerer.  There are points in the story where characters question each others humanity; I'm not recalling that any of those incidents had much to do with the Angel. 

Julie

Ron Edwards

That's exactly it - the rules in that chapter do not threaten Humanity. They are instead based on the concept that moral responsibility remains an issue even when Humanity is preserved externally or protected by an agency of some kind.

Best, Ron