News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

New Fanboy

Started by Andrew Cooper, July 02, 2006, 09:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Cooper

I got my hands on a copy of Dogs in the Vineyard this weekend and have read it almost twice through now.  When I first heard about Dogs, I was like, "A western.... *yawn*"  However, I listened to people talk about it and read actual play reports.  It caught my interest enough for me to determine to get a copy and at least read it.  I have now done so and these are my thoughts.

It's a brilliant piece of writing and game design.  I'm a fan of Capes.  I'm a fan of TSOY.  I'm a fan of Sorcerer.  But DitV is the very first game I have read through and said to myself, "I could run this right now and not wonder if I'm doing it right."  The text is focused and accessible.  It tells the players and the GM... "THIS is what you are supposed to be doing.  THIS is exactly how you do it."  I'm not saying anything bad about all the other games I listed.  They're awesome.  Vincent just did an outstanding job of communicating precisely how his game is supposed to work and how anyone can make it happen and I just wanted to rave about it a little while.  He worked hard.  He deserves to watch the new fanboys rave.

But beyond the raving, I will be playing DitV and I will be keeping a copy beside me as I'm designing and writing my own game as a blueprint  of how to do it the right way.  Thanks for a great game, Vincent.

lumpley

Thanks, Andrew. My pleasure.

-Vincent

Gary N. Mengle

I got the chance to play in Eric Provost's event at Origins.  It blew my socks off.  My head is now swimming with ideas for DitV and all the different thing that could be done with it.
Gary N. Mengle

GamerChick

Quote from: Gary N. Mengle on July 03, 2006, 09:29:58 AM
I got the chance to play in Eric Provost's event at Origins.  It blew my socks off.  My head is now swimming with ideas for DitV and all the different things that could be done with it.

Oh. My. God. YES.  I played at that table, and it was one of the most intense role playing experiences I've ever had.  Gary's character and mine were diametrically opposed in one conflict, and not only did he shoot me (and nearly kill me), but when he was dying himself I was able to forgive and heal *him*. 

The game was *amazing*, and I have been raving about it to anyone who will stop long enough to listen to me ever since.

Jae Walker

Taltos

What!? there was an Origins event? Blast the demons that kept me from it!

I picked up my copy of Dogs after a good discussion at the indie-rpg booth and then when I read it I poured through the event book looking for a game. I couldn't find anything. Was it early (Thur/Fri)?