News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Any Indie-Friendly Conventions in Florida?

Started by Justin D. Jacobson, September 13, 2006, 09:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin D. Jacobson

My jealousy with all the conventions around the country is getting the better of me. Are there any indie-friendly conventions in Florida? There aren't many conventions period, and they are mostly of the anime/wargame ends of the spectra. Are there any indie designers down here? Hell, any indie gamers down here? And, last question, if no to all of the above, how many of you would attend an indie mini-con in South Florida in, say, the middle of February? (No hurricanes and 70-degree weather.)
Facing off against Captain Ahab, Dr. Fu Manchu, and Prof. Moriarty? Sure!

Passages - Victorian era, literary-based high adventure!

Justin D. Jacobson

So I guess that would be a "no" to all of the above? Florida's very nice in the wintertime.
Facing off against Captain Ahab, Dr. Fu Manchu, and Prof. Moriarty? Sure!

Passages - Victorian era, literary-based high adventure!

Ron Edwards

Whoa, what was I thinking ...

Two places to check into.

1. In Gainesville, Jonescon was always a lot of fun. It's the primary site for Sorcerer's early years, 1994-1997, so that's about as good an indicator of its indie-friendliness as one might find.

2. There's a store in Orlando called Sci-Fi City which, at least during the same period, was always very welcoming to game company people. They ran great open-game days which also served me well for promotion and early sales. Not so much an actual convention, but near enough to it to be worth the time.

I have always heard that Jacksonville was a big wargaming town, but I don't know anything about cons or stores there.

Best, Ron