News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Spiel Essen] Demoing a d20 product

Started by Eero Tuovinen, October 01, 2006, 12:20:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eero Tuovinen

OK, so I've been fiddling with a demo for Dawning Star, a d20 scifi setting book. Parameters as usual for conventions: 15 minutes energetic show with a focus on finding a common ground between the demoist and the audience. I'm doing this for our Forge Essen booth, which operates on the principle of "you pay for it, we'll demo it". Justin was gracious enough to participate in supporting our convention booth, so the least I can do is to figure out how to demo his product.

Problem: DS is a d20 setting book, how the heck do you demo something that has no original rules? If your audience doesn't know d20 yet, it's pretty unlikely that they're going to embrace it, run buy d20 Modern (the particular brand utilized by DS) and come back to buy the setting, too. Not a good plan. On the other hand, if the audience already knows d20, why should I run a system demonstration for them? Will they go "Ah, that's so smart! Much better than standard d20!" Not likely, when the product is standard, and d20 product is prized for conforming with the rules as they're laid out. So running a system demo for d20 fans is a waste of time, they already know how it works.

Product strengths: only serious scifi setting for d20. Smart scifi, not just laser blasters razzle-dazzle like most. Some effort at focusing on social and economical adventures in addition to commando missions and generic exploration D&D is known for. Fluid writing, and at least I got a kick out of the classic scifi memes in there. Great support in the industry sense of the term; lots of high-quality supplements coming out all the time. I'm almost tempted to start collecting the line myself, even if I know that it'd be only for reading in my case.

Product weaknesses: almost unsellable to people interested in the more usual Forge fare of innovative mechanics and focused purpose. Just have to work around this by not pushing it to people who aren't intrigued by d20.

So, based on the above and other ponderings, here's my take on a demo for Dawning Star. It's based around the principle of selling the setting: because setting is not utilized in the actual process of play directly, the purpose of the demo is to develop common ground of interest with the audience about a campaign concept; in other words, the demoist explains the setting and engages in discussion of "how would we use this if we played together". The main prop in the process is the book itself, flipped frequently and quoted in the effort of displaying the variety and quality of the setting.

So that's my take. Any other ideas or improvements to the script? Does somebody think that building some 1st level characters and running some rounds of combat would be better (that being the main contender with this demo)? I'll be testing my demo come Wednesday with some teenagers here, I'll see if it flies then. I'll also look into playing a couple of sessions of the game, actually; I don't know if I can get these Forge-brainwashed teens to play this, but I'm myself intrigued with the idea of doing some old-school adventure gaming once in a while. Would also be good to see how the setting responds in actual play.
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.

Justin D. Jacobson

Well, I'll chime in. I think you've done a great job of summarizing the product. As you say, it is a difficult product to "demo"--particularly in a Forge booth. I know this first hand from GC Indy this year. Ron's advice was to "demo the setting." I agree, but even that's pretty difficult in that context. I have no idea what Spiel Essen is like--maybe it will be easier, maybe even harder. Moreover, I think the best way to sell the setting is to ask someone what their favorite flavor of sci-fi is. What are their favorite sci-fi movies? books? tv shows? Whatever they say (with a few obscure suggestions)--the feel can be captured in the DS setting. Bug hunt, political intrigue, space opera, starship dogfights.... I could go on and on. This is particularly true with the addition of Helios Rising, the largest sci-fi setting book ever published. (No one's disproven that claim, so I'm sticking by it.) When I get their answer, I point to a couple of items from the books to support that claim. What's that? You're a big BSG fan? Check out the mechites. Like Starship Troopers? Meet the vaasi. Etc.

I realize this is difficult for you to pull off since you aren't as familiar with the material as I am, but I think it's the only thing that will remotely work. So, uh, good luck and thanks for the effort.
Facing off against Captain Ahab, Dr. Fu Manchu, and Prof. Moriarty? Sure!

Passages - Victorian era, literary-based high adventure!

Frank T

Don't worry, Justin, German customers are easily baited with big shiny books. ;-) No, seriously. I think that Dawning Star will be just fine. I wonder if it would be better to just talk to the people about the setting, instead of running a d20 fight with the rules they already know.

- Frank

Justin D. Jacobson

Quote from: Frank T on October 04, 2006, 10:27:15 AM
I wonder if it would be better to just talk to the people about the setting, instead of running a d20 fight with the rules they already know.
I agree generally. A combat could be useful under the right circumstances to show off elements of the setting, e.g., some of the xenomorphs the characters might encounter, some of the tech they might use, etc.
Facing off against Captain Ahab, Dr. Fu Manchu, and Prof. Moriarty? Sure!

Passages - Victorian era, literary-based high adventure!

oliof

Eero's writeup just sold the book to me although I don't really do d20 (-;