News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Compact RPG Challenge

Started by Madkitten, July 04, 2006, 09:25:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeph

I just finished a compact game -- however, upon completion, I realized that I'd completely forgotten about the assigned theme! Oh well. The game is a 2-page version of Exemplar (you can find the original by following the links in my signature), incorporating a few of the ideas that I've had over the years since its inception. The link will be posted as soon as it exists. Or, as soon as it exists and I have net access, rather -- the two events may not coincide precisely.

The font is 8 point Arial and the margins are 5 mm, as suggested in the challenge guidelines. Surprisingly, I managed to squeeze in a bit of whitespace, and headers in large fonts!
Jeffrey S. Schecter: Pagoda / Other

iago

I could put some more polish on this one, but I think it's good enough to submit: http://www.evilhat.com/lab/BeatTheClock1.0.zip

Call Me Curly

Colin,

Metafiction looks good for playing Alan Moore's "Promethea".

(But what happens when Alan Moore's "Promethea" is the fiction being visited!?! Meta-meta-fiction?)

--Curly

Filip Luszczyk

iago,

Eh, that's it for my idea for submission being innovative. Looks like I should have got myself to writing right away instead of wasting time ;)

Clocks...

Colin Fredericks

Thanks, Curley. If someone tunneled through to Promethea's world in my game, I'd probably have her start talking directly to the players rather than their characters. :)

I think Beat the Clock is the first game I've seen where characters have a stat entitled "Doom." Definitely worth bonus points in my book.

iago

Quote from: Filip Luszczyk on July 17, 2006, 08:58:15 PM
Eh, that's it for my idea for submission being innovative. Looks like I should have got myself to writing right away instead of wasting time ;)

I certainly didn't sew up the whole field of using clocks as a theme or as a tool in a game. :)

Filip Luszczyk

First thing I thought about when I saw "Technological Horror" was to use some kind of electronic device for resolution. Like microwave oven. Or clock ;)

thwaak

Quote from: Call Me Curly on July 17, 2006, 07:02:08 PM
Colin,

Metafiction looks good for playing Alan Moore's "Promethea".

(But what happens when Alan Moore's "Promethea" is the fiction being visited!?! Meta-meta-fiction?)

--Curly

I think Metafiction will get some actual play around my table. One of my friends is a huge fan of Jasper Fford's Thursday Next novels (and apparently Metafiction is not unlike what goes on in those novels).
- Brent Wolke
Currently writing Scairy Tales for Savage Worlds.
Currently mucking with Animated Heroes for myself.

Jeph

Hi guys,

Sorry about the link for compact Exemplar not being up yet. I submitted it to 1km1kt.net, but haven't heard back from the guys there yet. In case anybody's just so dying to see it that they can't wait a few more days, or is willing to host it themselves, e-mail me at jeph88@mindspring.com and I'll send the .pdf directly to you.

Ken

Quote from: Madkitten on July 04, 2006, 09:25:15 AM

[li]The game should have a name, the name of the writer/writers and a short abstract of a maximum of 50 words[/li]

Somebody asked me if game background and story fit here. Is that what you meant by short abstract? I assume it was, but I wasn't quite sure what to say. Could you clarify.

Thanks,

Ken
Ken

10-Cent Heroes; check out my blog:
http://ten-centheroes.blogspot.com

Sync; my techno-horror 2-pager
http://members.cox.net/laberday/sync.pdf

Jeph

Obak

Hello everyone.
My name is David and I'm new here.
Hope you like my contribution, it's called Genesis by the way.

http://www.omegaproject.se/Forums/download/id=118.html

Filip Luszczyk

Jeph - I'm only able to download 32-page version of Exemplar, and after winding up on 1km1kt. Looks like you gave the wrong link, since it's not direct download it seems. Also, I couldn't access Pagoda through the link in your sig.

Obak - I also have some problems with downloading Genesis. My browser (Opera) starts downloading it with some crazy speed (or rather tells me so, since that's way more than my connection could handle) and the download stops, giving me broken file.

Obak

Sorry for that, a slight misscalculation on my part.

The following link should work proper, if you acknowledge commercial banners and such as 'proper' that is.
It was the best I could on short notice.

http://www.mysharefile.com/v/8365082/Genesis1.0.pdf.html

Jeph

Quote from: Filip Luszczyk on August 01, 2006, 10:03:34 AM
Jeph - I'm only able to download 32-page version of Exemplar, and after winding up on 1km1kt. Looks like you gave the wrong link, since it's not direct download it seems. Also, I couldn't access Pagoda through the link in your sig.

Looks like they do indeed have the links messed up at 1km1kt -- I'll shoot an e-mail to Keeton. Though the direct link for the download is still working for me; are other people able to access it? It may have something to do with the file already being on my computer...

And about Pagoda, damn. Looks like the domain it was hosted on ran out or something. No biggie, though; I'll probably just move it over to 1km1kt along with the rest of my stuff.