News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Mortal Coil Player's Screen

Started by Rob Donoghue, July 19, 2006, 04:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Donoghue

So, MC was a big hit at Dexcon, but I didn't really dig the "Hide the chips with your arm" part of things.  It just seemed clumsy, so there was some discussion of the possibility of a player's screen to address that.

So, with that out of the way, I tried a few different folds and came up with a pretty simple fold that can make a screen out of an 8.5x11 sheet of paper (though cardstock is better).  Kicker of it is that it has about a 4.5 x 8 inch blank area facing the players, so my question is what should go there?  If the player was to have about two index cards worth of quick reference material in front of them (that's not the theme doc) then what should it be?

Basic illustration of the fold is here.  If you've done any paper folding it'll be pretty obvious, but if you haven't:
1) Fold along line 1 till it's a strong crease.  Then ditto for both 2s.
2) Unfold the 2's, then fold the corners in to the seam, which will collespond to the 3 and 4 folds.  Crease that cleanly, and then fold it over to the other side, so the corner can wag bag and forth.  Leave unfolded.
3) Pick a side, and pull apart A & B.  This is the only tricky part. Ideally, the 3 and 4 fold will form a triangle at the top, and you'll have a small perpendicular piece.  Do this on both sides, and voila.

If that doesn't work, just, er, trust me tht it works.  Sooner or later I'll do actual diagrams, but for now, I'm curious what to put on it.

-Rob D.
Rob Donoghue
<B>Fate</B> -
www.faterpg.com

Rob Donoghue

Bah. Pretend there are A's in the top right and left corner of the paper, and Bs in the lower right and left. 

-Rob D.
Rob Donoghue
<B>Fate</B> -
www.faterpg.com

Judd

I'm going to run a one-shot of Mortal Coil this Sunday and I'm considering using cups.

We'll see.

Thanks for the screen, though.  Cool stuff.

Nathan P.

Neat.

I think you could put a summary of the conflict rules (which tokens you spend for what, the IIEE procedure, etc). I mean, its not like it takes a lot of brainpower to store, but it may be nice.

Having an editable version that you could type the theme document into and print out would be cool, too.
Nathan P.
--
Find Annalise
---
My Games | ndp design
Also | carry. a game about war.
I think Design Matters

Rob Donoghue

Good point, though I also note the fold is simple enough that if you've done it once, you probably don't need the template anymore, so it's easy enough to kitbash.

-Rob D.

Rob Donoghue
<B>Fate</B> -
www.faterpg.com

Brennan Taylor