News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Insurgency: The RPG] Published! What next?

Started by SilentScope, August 01, 2006, 07:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilentScope

A bit about the game first.

http://insurgency.bravehost.com/

QuoteInsurgency: The Game is a Roleplaying Game created by Silent. Players take on the role of Insurgent Commanders, leading a growing insurgency, uniting together under one main goal in mind, prehaps even the overthrowing of the Government that they are fighting. But while players work together, they also have their own secret agendas...private plots that will soon tear the Insurgency apart.

It is a free tabletop RPG, with the core rules, and 2 Example Missions.

My goal with this game was to generate a profit, however, I realize I am not well-known to sell my work, and have people buy it. So, rather, I decide on having the work be free, and if there is interest, I can sell expansions to the rules. I hope this is a good idea.

I just wonder one thing. How do I know if there is enough interest to justify an expansion? I placed a guestbook for people to lay comments, but is there other ways to find comments? Also, I would like to know how people like it, and maybe want some playtesting of it.

So, thanks in advance for reading.

daMoose_Neo

Actually, reputation not needed to sell~ I started out with NO rep and sold items off the net no sweat, just got around and talked it up.
Nate Petersen / daMoose
Neo Productions Unlimited! Publisher of Final Twilight card game, Imp Game RPG, and more titles to come!

Luke

Hello Silent,

Your game has some very interesting concepts, but it is not ready for sale or for print. While you've obviously done some research, as it stands now, your game is just a simple die rolling mechanic with cool descriptors. The win will go to the luckiest and loudest player (the one who can monopolize screen time the most). That doesn't emulate the ecology of an insurgency.

If you're serious about game design, you should put your game aside and go and play lots of other games -- specifically rpgs, but also board and card games. Look at the game designs and how situations are resolved and how the theme the game is evoked via mechanics. Let the other games inspire you. Then go back to your game and redesign the shit out of it to make it more of what it should be, more of what you think it can be.

hope that helps,
-Luke