News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[D&D With the Kids] You have your good days...

Started by greyorm, June 20, 2006, 12:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Irwin

QuoteI ask, "Hey, do you want to do this?" They say "No." That's pure functional interaction, between adults or between adults and kids. There's no social subtext where the person asking the question is desperately trying to get his way without confronting his peers about his own desires or needs.

That really made me laugh! You're right, it's wonderfully functional, I hope I can live there consistently one day.

I'll look forward to more posts about your games. On another board I lurk on I've noticed tremendous excitement and anticipation from parents whose children are getting old enough to roleplay. When I read their gushing I think to myself "You know, you could replace "roleplay" with ballet/hockey/violin/soccer and this post would read exactly the same". I get that "nothing good can come of this" feeling. It's really nice to see how you're adapting the game to suit what they want.

How far from D&D do you think your play will take you? Enough to design a new game from it? Or perhaps even a d20 mod?

komradebob

Hmm.

That bit about key locations and rolling to get to them gives me some verrrry interesting ideas for the thingie I'm working on...

Here's a sort of odd thought:
Let's say you are rolling a d6. On 2-6, the player moves thweir character that many spaces towards an " interesting location".
On a one, something else happens-short, random encounter, whatever. Once resolved they roll again ( having already moved into the first space).

I'm thinking of spaces that represent a decent amount of space ( we tend to play outdoor based games).

Reading your posts, one of the things that strikes me is the whole idea of letting someone play the way they want. Drift as a postive aspect, i guess.
Robert Earley-Clark

currently developing:The Village Game:Family storytelling with toys