News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Creating too many rules vs using GM Fiat as a magic wand (split)

Started by sean2099, July 11, 2006, 09:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sean2099

This question came up to me from another thread I created. http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=20273.0

I am trying to come up with guidelines for different powers that a deity could have.   Of course, I want them to be useful but my primary goal is to see the deities engage in "servant leadership."  My dilemna is that I am not after crunch but I don't want to have a sloppy system where I use "GM Fiat" as an explanation for everything.  Is it ok to state "GM Fiat" covers everything when you are not making a "crunchy" system?

The opinions of the Forge have helped me up to this point, don't let me down now:)

Sean

http://www.agesgaming.bravehost.com

agesgaming_divinity subscribe@yahoogroups.com

email to join AGES Gaming Yahoo Group
it's my lil' website.

TonyLB

Contrasting "crunch" (by which I assume you mean a strong structure laid down by the mechanics to guide people in what are and aren't appropriate powers in a given situation) and "GM Fiat" is a bit odd.  Are these two on the opposite sides of a spectrum?

What about if you neither constrain the players with rules nor authorize the GM to constrain them with fiat?  What happens if, in short, you let the players do what they want?
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

sean2099

Hey Tony,

Maybe I should have made myself a bit clearer.  I think we are making the same point about crunch.  For "GM Fiat" as a magic wand, I was thinking more of a weak structure that just assumes the GM will take care of the problems (ie someone making a lousy system and just expecting the consumer to fix all of the problems they should have addressed.)

Actually, when I was first writing the mechanics, I was trying to let the player know that they are a "god", not "GOD." and that they were accountable to their worshipers.  So, TonyLB, would it be fair to say by letting the player do what they want that

1.  You do not have to write guildlines for every possible situition because most players are mature,knowledge (in short "good players:") rather than immature people that want to bend everything in an attempt to ruin it or gain an advantage when the game is not about gaining advantages.

2.  In other words, don't worry about the "bad" players mentioned above. :)

Sean

it's my lil' website.

WiredNavi

You seem to be operating from the perception that immature players can break/misuse any system where either the GM does not have final oversight or there are lots of rules to cover every possible situation.  This is not true.  In fact, I'd say it's far easier to break/misuse a system where there are lots of rules to cover every possible situation, because there's almost always going to be holes in the rules and systematically better strategies.  Then the GM has to either plug those holes (reintroducing GM fiat) or not (allowing those players to run rampant) and you're back where you started.

What DO you want this game to do that you need guidelines for deific powers?  What possible problems do you anticipate along those lines?
Dave R.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  -- Terry Pratchett, 'Men At Arms'

billvolk

Too many rules and numbers in a system are scarier, at least to me, than too few. There are surely people who vehemently disagree with me, but I seek a return to cops and robbers, a time when I knew how to roleplay with no system to indulge my maturity.

joepub

Sean,

I think that you're looking at two of three major options:

-Create a lot of very specific rules, such as "if you wish to use Dark Radiance in the presence of a Light Emissary, you must test for Deity Control".

-Use GM Fiat, such as, "Tom, you can't just go around lightning bolting every heretic."

The third major option, in my opinion?

-Use simple rules that reflect the core of what your game is about, instead of muddying it with a burden of "crunch."
Something as simple as "If you are a deity and you want to use a power... roll a d6, add X. If any relevant deities oppose, then subtract Y. If your total is positive, the power is effective. If it is 4+, it has a large sway."

X and Y can be the same for every power, or different.
If they are different, maybe a power looks like:

SUPER ULTRA POWER OF SLAUGHTER
Add: X
Subtract: Y
Effect: Z
Large Sway: ZZ

I don't really know the structure of deity powers in your game, Sean, but maybe this post gives you an idea of how to create simple powers.

sean2099

Hi all,

I am trying to simpify effect of powers right now.  Here is my system ,in a nutshell, for powers.

All power lists have 10 abilities associated with them.  Simple list format:  e.g. if you can use the fourth, then you can use 1-3 as well.  No roll.  If opposition, add rating plus any will points you want to spend.  Opposition does the same if know enough about power list to counter.  Higher total wins.

I think the overall execution of powers is simple enough.  It is determining how detailed the effect should be in the game.  Again, I am cutting down on the complexity and I making headway with that.
I am doing that by cutting out percentages and numbers wherever I can.  I am also trying to write just enough to get to the core of what I want each ability to do.

So, when I have done this, I'll be asking for a readthrough and a playtest:)

Thanks,

Sean

it's my lil' website.