News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

MLwM - Considering the Endgame

Started by Jiri Petru, July 22, 2006, 10:06:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jiri Petru

Hi,

I have a little question about the Endgame - what exactly happens when a player not involved in fight with Master decides to join the fight? The book says it is possible for a player, when framing his scene, to ask for an entry to the fight.

So... the second minions joins, and the first one receives his bonus dice. So far so good. But what happens next? Now there are two characters fighting Master. What does the second character (the one ho did not trigger the fight) do? Does he also get his own roll against the master? Does it mean that there are now two death-rolls each turn, with both players giving bonus dice to each other?

Or does the second player help only once, and then leaves the fight in next round, the DM framing him a completely different scene?

It happened to me during my lat game of MLwM. The second player joined the fight. The first player got bonus dice, lost... and I didn't know what to do with the second player in the next round.

Thanks in advance for your response,

Jiri.

Paul Czege

Hi Jiri,

What does the second character (the one ho did not trigger the fight) do? Does he also get his own roll against the master? Does it mean that there are now two death-rolls each turn, with both players giving bonus dice to each other?

Good question. The second character does not roll separately against the Master. He can aid the first character against the Master by contributing Love minus Weariness in dice to the first character's roll, as per the Providing Aid rules on page 34-35. Or he can aid the Master's roll against the first character in the same way. Or he can fight with another player character who is helping one side or the other of the Master vs. minion conflict (using the rules for Violence against other player characters) and thereby prevent that character's contribution of dice into the Master vs. minion conflict.

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Paul Czege

Or does the second player help only once, and then leaves the fight in next round, the DM framing him a completely different scene?

Oops...typing in a hurry and didn't answer the whole question. Upon choosing to enter the Master vs. minion conflict, the second player's minion no longer has location changes. Usually the player chooses to keep contributing Love minus Weariness in dice to the Master vs. minion conflict. But a third minion can always join the location and fight with the second minion to prevent interference in the central Master vs. minion conflict. And if for some reason there was a Connection in this same location, I'd probably allow an overture, but it would preclude the player from providing aid into the next Master vs. minion roll, and I'd only allow it every other turn, as per the restrictions on overtures during the regular cycle of turns in Endgame resolution.

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Jiri Petru

Thanks, Paul,

that surely helped me a lot. I'm running a session of MLwM this evening, and I suspect there could be Endgame coming. I'll put this advice to a good use ;)

Jiri