News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Mr. Nobody Resolves

Started by bluegargantua, July 25, 2006, 09:30:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluegargantua

Hi,

I've got a conflict.  I've claimed one side of it.  No one else has claimed the other side, but, for various reasons, they all chip in some debt, roll some dice and at the end of the page they're in control.

My understanding is that if a page has a Claim, it gets resolved at the end of the page.  But if the winning side is an unclaimed side, who actually does the "resolving"?  My guess is that this would be an ultra-rare occurance, but it could happen and I wonder what the procedure is.

later
Tom
The Three Stooges ran better black ops.

Don't laugh, Larry would strike unseen from the shadows and Curly...well, Curly once toppled a dictatorship with the key from a Sardine tin.

Bret Gillan

If an unclaimed side is winning, it does not resolved. A Conflict only resolves if the claimed side is winning. I wish I could cite a page number for you but I don't have my book.

TonyLB

If the winning side is claimed then it resolves (in favor of that claim).  If the winning side isn't claimed (even if, as in this case, the losing side(s) is/are) then it doesn't resolve.  You take your claim back (though you may get the chance to play it again at the beginning of the next page) and the conflict continues into the next page with all of its dice and chips unchanged.

Pages 48 - 49 show this sequence in action.

I hope this helps!
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

bluegargantua

Quote from: TonyLB on July 25, 2006, 09:34:23 AM
If the winning side is claimed then it resolves (in favor of that claim).  If the winning side isn't claimed (even if, as in this case, the losing side(s) is/are) then it doesn't resolve.  You take your claim back (though you may get the chance to play it again at the beginning of the next page) and the conflict continues into the next page with all of its dice and chips unchanged.

Pages 48 - 49 show this sequence in action.

Ah, I see.  I thought Claim = Resolve This Turn.

Huh, potentially lends itself to a few minor strategies where you might block a win, forcing an opponent to take back a Claim and then force him to burn a free Claim or Story Tokens next turn.

cool, thanks
Tom
The Three Stooges ran better black ops.

Don't laugh, Larry would strike unseen from the shadows and Curly...well, Curly once toppled a dictatorship with the key from a Sardine tin.

Hans

Quote from: bluegargantua on July 25, 2006, 10:32:06 AM
Ah, I see.  I thought Claim = Resolve This Turn.

Huh, potentially lends itself to a few minor strategies where you might block a win, forcing an opponent to take back a Claim and then force him to burn a free Claim or Story Tokens next turn.

cool, thanks
Tom

I think you probably know this, but the way you phrased the above makes me think clarification might be in order:

Beginning of Page; All previous claims "expire".  Each player gets one free claim, around the table in order, then each player can pay story tokens for another claim.
End of Page; Any conflict that has a winning side, and that winning side has been claimed, is resolved.  All other conflicts stay on the table.

There is no such thing as "taking back a claim", but I think you may be referring to claims expiring at the beginning of a page.  You cannot with certainty force him to burn a story token on the next page, since he still has a free claim.  You may be able to force him to spend a story token if there is more than one conflict on the table he wants to claim, and you or someone else may be able to beat him out of claiming a particular side by claiming it first.

The FAQ has a rather long section on this issue headed "Alliance and Claiming" which may help, since it is an issue that always generates a lot of questions.
* Want to know what your fair share of paying to feed the hungry is? http://www3.sympatico.ca/hans_messersmith/World_Hunger_Fair_Share_Number.htm
* Want to know what games I like? http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/skalchemist