News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

The Exciting Challenge of Retcon in Capes

Started by LemmingLord, July 25, 2006, 07:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sindyr

Quote from: R. Jason Boss on July 26, 2006, 11:37:24 AM
Lemminglord has said he and his group are fine with these being Gloatable, so there seems to be no need to posit non-gloatable rules at all.

Jason

I have demonstrated the reason.

Why is Sindyr so terse and rude? Read the below topic with my apologies to find out:
http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=20593.0
-Sindyr

Asperity

Quote from: Andrew Cooper on July 26, 2006, 09:30:42 AM
"Elvis seen at Waffle House."
"Kennedy assassin found."

Wow.  I absolutely need to invite people over for a Weekly World News-themed Capes game.  I'll finally have a use for the unliftable box of old WWNs I've got in my closet.  I can't wait.  (Sorry, I know this has nothing to do with the thread topic.  But wow!)

LemmingLord

Quote from: Sindyr on July 26, 2006, 12:27:25 PM
Quote from: R. Jason Boss on July 26, 2006, 11:37:24 AM
Lemminglord has said he and his group are fine with these being Gloatable, so there seems to be no need to posit non-gloatable rules at all.

Jason

I have demonstrated the reason.

Why is Sindyr so terse and rude? Read the below topic with my apologies to find out:
http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=20593.0

Now I didn't mean to suggest that my gang is going to be happy about gloating these out; I just wanted to point out a mechanic already within Capes that allows you to establish fixed events; and since you can change the CC between games you can easily establish fixed history.

I admit entirely that our purpose for these origions and so forth would be better served as ungloatable rules; but that would certainly not help me prove my main point! :)

I am glad Tony expressed to me the possible outcome that this might produce.. I will definitely tell my group about that possibility so that I don't become a jerk one night and start taking advantage of the gloatability issue when the rest of the gang hadn't considered that!! :)

R. Jason Boss

Like you said, Lemming (did I miss your name?), these won't be the only things in your CC so there will be more readily gloatable ideas available.  If folks come up with a good idea for gloating up against your established origins or natures in the CC then more power to them!  It didn't sound to me like the mere notion that Cap might be seen as unpatriotic would be offensive to anyone, just that he never actually /would/ be.  I feel that making something like that ungloatable could rob you of interesting opportunities anyhow.

Cool ideas in this thread I think.
Jason

TonyLB

Yeah, when you posted the whole "Cap is tied to an ANS rally" I immediately said "Oh, that's cool!  But what if ... "

• Goal:  Put Captain America in a situation where patriotism demands that he assassinate a terrorist in cold blood.
  • Goal:  Force Captain America to admit that the American invasion of Whereverstan is motivated by greed and jingoism, not virtue or necessity
  • Goal:  Force Cap to choose between the current government of America and the principles of the founding fathers

Man, being patriotic is hard.  Believe me, I've tried.  I would totally respect a hero who managed to walk that line ... so long as he's really pushed, and actually earns his patriotism by confronting some tough shit and working through it.

Which is my long-winded way of saying "That particular element of the Comics Code could be really, really cool."
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

R. Jason Boss

Awesome, Tony!  That last one hits close to home for me especially.  I'd be all over that conflict for sure, so there you go.

CC manipulation seems like a fun way to shape the game.  I'll look forward to your supplement pack later in the year, Mr. Mercenary.

Jason