News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Toward Thematic Continuity

Started by Mr. DNA, July 04, 2006, 09:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. DNA

Thinking more about the way themes can be handled, it seems like it might even be too limiting to hold the group to one particular method -- perhaps the Themes may be handled in different ways.  For instance, using the abortion/christianity/gender relations example above, one character may "represent" abortion, or may have had an abortion, but they may also fixate on a crucifix as a symbol of their relationship to the Christianity theme.  That implies to me that maybe the methodry involved in the interactions with the theme should be part of the character gen instead of discussed with the whole group (though of course character gen may be done with the whole group -- but you see what I mean.)

Hmmm....
PM me if you're interested in playing Indie RPGs in the West Suburbs of Chicago!

Josh Roby

Mr DNA -- I think that's a question for playtest.  I don't know if a game where one character is an allegorical equivalent to an entire issue while another character is simply a person who cares about a related issue would work.  On the other hand, it might work amazingly.  It's just something that I think requires some empirical data to find out, you know?

Curly -- An "issue" or a "problematic feature of existence" is not a theme.  Christianity is not an issue; abortion is not a problematic feature of existence.  Christianity's relationship with the practice of abortion, however, is an issue.  An issue isn't an issue unless it's got sides, or at least discrete elements (themes) that can interact.  Otherwise, it just sits there.
On Sale: Full Light, Full Steam and Sons of Liberty | Developing: Agora | My Blog

Call Me Curly

Joshua,

You're making it more complex than it has to be.

Theme: Christianity.
Credible sides: embrace or reject.

Viola!

Josh Roby

We're in screaming agreement, I think, Curly, and just griping about terminology. ;)
On Sale: Full Light, Full Steam and Sons of Liberty | Developing: Agora | My Blog