News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[GenCon] Posters: if you've got one, tell me about it.

Started by Joshua A.C. Newman, July 28, 2006, 05:18:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joshua A.C. Newman

I've been placed in charge of poster management at GenCon this year. We may have even less room for posters this year than last because we don't have a wall, so let me know here what posters you're likely to have. Tell me their dimensions and whether they're black and white or color.

Ideally, the posters will impress with their numbers and variety at a distance, and up close will attract the appropriate audience.

Each morning as we set up, we'll recoordinate so everyone gets good visibility. I'm not promising that that will happen, but I promise I'll do what I can.
the glyphpress's games are Shock: Social Science Fiction and Under the Bed.

I design books like Dogs in the Vineyard and The Mountain Witch.

TonyLB

Two foot by five, color, pocketed for dowels.

I'm planning to bring the banner-stand, too ... especially now that I hear we won't have much in the way of wall-space.  The stand has dowels for double-sided use, so if we've got another pocketed poster of the same size (or if we want to lash something to the dowels with baling wire and bubble-gum) we can have two-sided display.

But, also ... if I just leave the banner in my hotel room I'm fine with that too.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Joshua A.C. Newman

Well, I think posters are really important part of the image. It shows, from a distance, how many different games we're selling. It's part of why I'm not suggesting any sort of standardized size or other crap.

Also, of course, I don't really know what we'll have until we get there and set up. But I'd really like to have an idea.

Oh, I'll have a poster or two. The Shock: poster will probably be 24"x24", bright orange, natch. The Under the Bed one, I dunno. Similar area, black and white.

joepub

Joshua, I will have a colour poster for Perfect.
(If there's a lack of space, though, I'll gladly just keep it packed away.)

I'm not sure the dimensions yet, but will get back to you on that.

timfire

Joshua, I'll be using the same tMW poster from last year. Without pulling it out, I believe it's 2 ft x 5 ft, maybe? It's pretty long.
--Timothy Walters Kleinert

Joshua A.C. Newman

I'm concerned that we might not have space for big banners this year. If we do, totally fill in the chop with a red magic marker.

Malcolm Craig

I'll have the following posters:

a|state: A2 size
Mob Justice: Thin vertical poster, about 8" wide and 24" high
Cold City: The opposite of the Mob Justice poster, about 24" wide and 8" high.

Thanks
Malcolm
Malcolm Craig
Contested Ground Studios
www.contestedground.co.uk

Part of the Indie Press Revolution

Justin D. Jacobson

I've got a 2'x6' vinyl BDG banner that has grommets and can be affixed with metal twisties (which I will supply of course).
Facing off against Captain Ahab, Dr. Fu Manchu, and Prof. Moriarty? Sure!

Passages - Victorian era, literary-based high adventure!

Paul Czege

I have a vinyl poster of the cover of My Life with Master. It is 28" x 38", with corner grommets.

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Joshua A.C. Newman

Quote from: Justin D. Jacobson on July 28, 2006, 01:43:11 PM
I've got a 2'x6' vinyl BDG banner that has grommets and can be affixed with metal twisties (which I will supply of course).

Is that a vertical or horizontal banner?

Luke

Joshua, I'm loathe to say it, but I think the primary sponsors of the booth should get first picks on banner space. Tim's a primary sponsor.

Also, I think we* should put a display together similar to what Vincent had last year -- the hanging panels that described Dogs and its accolades. I think it should be for the whole booth and it should list all of our awards: Origins Award Winner, Out of the Box Best Game of the Year, Diana Jones Award Winner, etc. I think our combined pedigree is rather impressive.

-L

*By "we" I mean you and maybe Vincent if he's feeling nice.

Joshua A.C. Newman

Hey, any rationale to put up a big poster that I made is fine by me. If that means that we get  giant Dogs, Sorcerer, Burning Empires, and Mountain Witch banners, then awesome! Those will certainly attract people from far off.

I think the awards list thing is a great idea. How do we compile a list of such stuff? What awards count? I think that winning a Ronnie, for instance, is great to write on a game, but won't advertize the booth to outsiders effectively. Let's discuss this in another thread. Your idea, Luke, you start.

Keith Senkowski

Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel

Joshua A.C. Newman

Justin D. Jacobson

Quote from: Joshua A.C. Newman on July 28, 2006, 03:10:38 PM
Quote from: Justin D. Jacobson on July 28, 2006, 01:43:11 PM

Is that a vertical or horizontal banner?
Horizontal.
Facing off against Captain Ahab, Dr. Fu Manchu, and Prof. Moriarty? Sure!

Passages - Victorian era, literary-based high adventure!