News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Two Anniversaries

Started by Matt Wilson, August 01, 2006, 10:45:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Wilson

Two anniversaries, kinda.

First, it's now three years to the day since I brought Emmett home from the Humane Society. He's snoozin' nearby on his little blue doggy bed. Hooray for three awesome years of that. Where would Dog-eared Designs be without him?

Second, August marks the two-year anniversary of Primetime Adventures. I released a limited run coil-bound book at Gen Con 2004 following some trouble with a printer that I stopped using. So yeah, it's been 24 months, with about 4 months mixed in where the book was unavailable. In that time, I've sold over 1000 800 books. 110 have sold at cons, 4 to retailers and the rest via direct sales from my site. Not too shabby at all, and I'm sure I'm not nearly the top seller.

I wouldn't have sold nearly as many, either, if Ron and Vincent hadn't given it a shot and then posted about their experiences. Not nearly as many at all. I can't thank you two guys enough. Ever, probably. I'm making a point this year at Gen Con to maybe pay it forward, and try out some of the new games and post about them.

I started selling the pdf in December, and that seems only to have increased sales. 136 to date, though I sold a lot more when I was out of books.

edit: Doh! I totally did the math wrong, by like 200. 809 books is the exact number to this very minute.

coffeestain

Congratulations, man!  That sounds like an awesome run and I've really enjoyed PTA the couple times I've been able to play it.  I'm looking forward to more.

Give Emmett a scratch behind the ear for me.  When it cools down a bit, we'll have to get the pups together and head back out to the park.

Regards,
Daniel

Ron Edwards

Happy anniversaries, Matt!

Best, Ron

Thunder_God

Hm, any insights? A nifty graph of sales across time, etc?

And good show :)
Guy Shalev.

Cranium Rats Central, looking for playtesters for my various games.
CSI Games, my RPG Blog and Project. Last Updated on: January 29th 2010

Troy_Costisick

Heya,

Happy Anniversary Matt!!!

Peace,

-Troy

John Harper

Congrats, brother. You're totally right about the influence of Ron and Vincent's AP threads, but let's not forget that it was you who designed and published "The most fun RPG ever." Kudos. Nothing, and I mean nothing, beats PTA for pure fun at the gaming table. And it's non-gamer friendly to boot.

Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us.
Agon: An ancient Greek RPG. Prove the glory of your name!

joshua neff

Happy Anniversaries, Mr. Wilson!
--josh

"You can't ignore a rain of toads!"--Mike Holmes

oliof

Congratulations, Matt!

NB: 4 copies to retailers?

Arturo G.

Congratulations!

I would like to add that I made a 2 hours show of PtA at PuCLN (a Spanish national games convention) some weeks ago, and many players were indeed saying that it was "the most fun RPG" they have ever played.

Arturo

Matt Wilson

QuoteNB: 4 copies to retailers?

Yeah, I just started offering books to retailers, because I have a pretty good cost per book with the last printing. So far I've gotten a few responses, but only one actual purchase. It's only been a couple weeks.