News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Offering to Host a Polaris Game over Ventrilo (Voice over Intenet Software)

Started by Steven Stewart, August 01, 2006, 08:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven Stewart

Hello fellow Polaris fans. I am really excited about this game, and looking forward to playing. Due to some real life constraints and location, I think that playing Voice Over Internet (VOIP) is probably my best option.

So this is an offer to host and participate in a regular Polaris game using "Ventrilo". I have access to a reliable Ventrilo server, which I also use for my MMORPG gaming, so have expierence with it being relieable and the quality being OK. Additionally it does not tax the system resources too hard.

If anyone is interested please Private Message Me to try this expierence. I envision one to two hour sessions every two weeks (although there is some flexability). This is also a good chance to play with folks you might not normally see all the time.

Ventrilo software is free, and all you need is a either a headset with mic, or a keyboard mic and headphones. (I have used both in the past). There is a push to talk function, and a chat box function as well.

If you are interested in this oppurtunity please give me a PM and we can discuss in more detail.

If this catches on, and we have a good game, I might even consider hosting a dedicated Vent Server for this and other Indie Games for those of us who have trouble finding gamers willing to try new things, but I want to crawl before walking and would like to start with the server I have access to now, and with a four person game of Polaris.

I want to be careful to state that from what I gather, this is a shared game, and not go into "GM" mode. So that is why I am saying hosting a game rather than running a game. I would think tha the first session would be blank piece of paper, introductions and then onto to some character generation. Depending on time, either play an act or two, or wait till the next time. Somewhere in the middle, we need to mail character sheets to each other (at least the Heart and Mistaken for each other do), and I am working on some type of A4 size four person character sheet that can be updated between games so it will be easier.

Dice rolling is the only thing I am not sure about. I am comfortable with the trust system. If it needs to be we can shift rolling to one of the moons to be impartial. Or if someone knows a dice rolling program that can be used within Vent, that would be great, but probably cause I like the feel of actual dice in my hand, would be based on a trust system.

Cheers for now,

Tokyo Steve
"Reach out your hand if your cup be empty, if your cup is full may it be again"

http://www.freewebs.com/blamdesign/index.htm

Ben Lehman

Hey, Steve.

You'll want to post this on the Indie Net-Gaming yahoogroup, which is full of people who play games online in various forms.  You'll get a better response than posting here.

yrs--
--Ben

Steven Stewart

Will do! I have limited access where I am right now (so I can't get to yahoo groups) but i did manage to access JIGGS, will be looking into the indie-one as well. Just wanted to post here as well since this is the "Polaris" forum. Let me know (or just delete) if you feel it is not appropriate to post here.

Cheers,

Ben Lehman

It's not inappropriate (I encourage people to play my game!) but I think you'll get a better response on the list.

yrs--
--Ben

Steven Stewart

Thanks, when I get to a place where I don't have to go through a firewall I will definetly check that resource out as well. I have already checked on JIGGS that was mentioned earlier, and the find play link as well. Hopefully through all these channels something will come up!

Cheers and thanks again.