News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Mafia Story] How much complexity is still ok?

Started by Adam Kleizer, August 02, 2006, 07:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam Kleizer

Hey all!

I've got this game, which started as the Game Chef entry "The Dynasty", then became "La famiglia" after converting it to a mafia setting. Now I just use the name "Mafia Story" to describe it.

It evolved in a way I really liked, and I still like every piece of rule it's got in it. I made a new document after realising I never made a list of changes available after Game Chef. You can grab the document here: mafiastory_briefgameplay.pdf

The problem is, I don't know whether it's too complex or not. While writing the document I had the feeling that I can't really grab the right order in which rules should be presented, so I just started to write in the order it should be played. The result is a document which describes all rules, but is rather hard to understand. (Or isn't it?)

I've never had the possibility to playtest the game but I've already explained the rules to two of my groups. I think they understood it, but weren't sure about the rules without playing the game.

So there are some questions now I can't answer myself:
*Is the game too complex?
*If yes, what rules are the most confusing ones?
*If no, what would be a better order for presenting the rules? There are three cycles (narration cycle, the job cycle and milestones) and a number of special events (using profit cards, giving orders) in the game, so this isn't the easiest question. I made a plan you can see here.

Also, if you want to playtest this game or have any comment about it, please go ahead!

Thanks,
Adam

matthijs

My first suggestion would be to keep the first sentence as intro text:

QuoteThis game is about a gang of Italian mobsters led by a Godfather with great influence over the local crime scene.

...and expand this paragraph with three or four more sentences so it becomes an overview of game play:

QuotePlayers create a gangster story while controlling the members of this group. They obey the orders but compete with each other at the same time to become the new Godfather.

Such an overview is indispensable. It lets people decide whether or not the game is for them, and tells them what the focus of the game is.

But (and I'm sure you realize this): You really need to playtest the game yourself. At this stage, you have a perfectly good playtest document, and whether or not the game is too complex is something that can only be answered through actual play.

Adam Kleizer

Thanks, I'll do that overview.

I know playtesting is really important, most of the changes made to La Famiglia were introduced based on playtest experiences. I'm working on getting my group together next week for a session, so I can further improve the game.