News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[ORX] Artist Needed for Print Version

Started by greyorm, August 05, 2006, 08:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greyorm

As some of you know, I am finally taking the plunge and putting the final touches on a print version for Orx. Now, given that this is a print version of the game, I would love to be able to put either a good amount of art in the book (I'm talking at least a dozen or two illustrations), or have a few margin banners (top and/or bottom), perhaps one banner per section of the rules (for a total of 4 or 5).

I am going with one or the other type of art, not both (that is, either stand alone illos or margin banners). Which one will be decided by what the artist pitches for each.

For the former, I am looking for black & white line drawings of about a quarter-page size. I am not looking for full or half-page illustrations for this project due to the layout.
For the latter, the margin banners, again, black &white, about one-and-a-quarter inches high and six inches across, fairly complex/interesting, not simplistic or cheap flash.
I do not need a cover for the book.

Details:
Orx is a darkly humorous game, so illustrations should try to match that style. For example, a bunch of chibi-style orcs in various moods, performing various actions or in wacky, deadly, slightly surreal (perhaps even game/hobby-referential) situations would be perfect. Regardless, I will provide a list of possible illustration seeds to interested artists, though the list is by no means the end-all, be-all of possibilities.

Cribbing from Adept Press' Artist Guidelines:

• I am paying strictly for USE, not OWNERSHIP of the artwork. You retain full ownership of the pieces in all ways. You can re-lease or sell the artwork to anyone else as you see fit, at any time.
  • I will need the final form in TIFF format, 300 dpi minimum. Please keep the file size per piece below 900 kb. I request that you use mainly black-and-white art, without grayscale, unless I specifically ask you otherwise.
  • If possible, I'd like to see preliminary sketches of each piece during the process.
  • In the publication, I will include all contact information to reach you (websites, e-mail, phone) as you instruct.

If possible, I would like to see examples of your usual style/previous work.

Payment:
Flat-out, I am able to pay up to $100 for complete illustration of the book, that's between a dozen to two dozen pieces of the requested quarter-page size. I will pay less for margin banners unless they completely STUN me and turn the world upside down as an art form. As mentioned, you will also get full credit in the book along with listed contact information, etc. I will pay via Paypal or money order.

Timeline:
The illustrations are needed relatively soon. Preferably within the next two weeks. Clarification: this means I have final product in my hands in two weeks, not you send me what you've got at the two week mark.

Any artists interested in this gig should contact me here in the thread or by PM and we can work out any other necessary details.
OR if you know an artist who might be interested in this gig, pass the info. on to him and have them contact me.
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Eero Tuovinen

No, I'm not an artist, but I like Orx, and am curious: why the horrendous deadline? I know a couple of artists who might well be interested and able, but you're asking for a score of drawings a couple of days before Gencon, with a deadline of a week or so, if I read you right. Why the rush?
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.

greyorm

I am attempting to coincide the print release with some scheduled publicity I've been informed of, so the book is available for purchase while the interest is, instead of making people wait to buy it, forget about it, etc. So, ultimately, the deadline is self-imposed. Hrm, I might even be able to push back the publicity (it's not up to me). I'll have to see.

I can extend the deadline out if necessary, depending on the artist, but that would have to be an up-front sort of discussion between the artist and myself. So, if you know someone, Eero, have them get in touch with me with their time requirments and whatnot. Thanks!

Plus GenCon...oh yeah. (Good reminder. I'm not going, so I'm not paying much attention to it out of bitter envy.) I can certainly make allowances for GenCon.
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio