News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Fleshing Out An Idea For Actual Play

Started by jburneko, May 06, 2002, 06:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jburneko

Hello All,

I went to the local Rennaisance Fair this weekend and while I always enjoy the experience I was thinking about how, as a time period, I'm much more attracted to the Restoration rather than the Rennaisance.  This is why I like games like 7th Sea and have thought about running the Day of Dupes scenario from Sorcerer's Soul.  I also started thinking about a modern day swashbuckling tale.  Yes, you read that correctly, a MODERN DAY, swashbuckling tale.

Basically, I'm thinking about a story that revolves around issues of honor and what it means to be honorable.  I thought of a secret society that exists soully for the sake of preserving 17th Century honor values much like those outlined for the Day of Dupes scenario in Sorcerer's Soul.  If two members of the society go out and kill each other in a duel then the other members of the society cover their backs and make sure the police don't stick their noses in bussiness that isn't theirs.

At first I was just thinking about a story but then I thought it might make for an interesting RPG scenario.  Basically, players would be members of this society or at least characters with good reason to become entangled with this society.  But I'm not sure if the Premise is broad enough to carry a multiple protagonist story.  I haven't decided if this is a one-trick pony or not.

The other issue would be what system to use.  Sorcerer comes to mind as it is so easy to just define Humanity as Honor but I want this to be a low to no supernatural game.  That and I'm much more interested in the Premise being centered around DEFINING and sustaining that definition of honor and not about sacrificing honor for power as such.  Does this call for a system of it's own and am I wandering into game DESIGN territory or would something like The Pool or Story Engine suffice?  Hmmm... I wonder if Jared's Sex and Violence game could be used for this.

This is a really cool idea to me and I'd like to go somewhere with it be it game or scenario but I'm not sure where.  I thought I'd share here and see if anyone can feed these seeds.

Thanks.

Jesse

Bob McNamee

How about  The World, the Flesh, and the Devil?

Bob McNamee
Bob McNamee
Indie-netgaming- Out of the ordinary on-line gaming!