News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

GenCon 2006 Pictures

Started by daemonchild, August 16, 2006, 08:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daemonchild

Hi,

Not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this or not. Matt and I would like to extend an invitation to host pictures of GenCon and all its craziness on Flames Rising.

If interested, send me your pics to demonica@flamesrising.com. Please indicate how you would like credit for your pics. I have the ability to put text on the photos and would be more than happy to give credit where credit is due--or even put this site on it.

Regards,

Monica
Project Manager
http://www.flamesrising.com
What are you afraid of?

iago

Robert Bohl

Did anyone get any pictures of the drow in blackface?

God that made my stomach turn every time I saw them.
Game:
Misspent Youth: Ocean's 11 + Avatar: The Last Airbender + Snow Crash
Shows:
Oo! Let's Make a Game!: Joshua A.C. Newman and I make a transhumanist RPG

Bankuei

Hi Rob,

You can check those out on flickr.  Just look for GenCon & Drow.   I'm having several heated discussions on that topic right now.  Though, I am going to say this: I did walk up and ask one of them if they knew the history of blackface and she nodded.  I think we need more social pressure to let folks know this isn't acceptable.

Chris

Robert Bohl

I know they are only intending to be drow, and I am sure what they're doing is innocent and accidental, but I manage to have little tolerance for something that is so offensive and hurtful to so many people, and such a part of our culture that I feel they ought to know better.
Game:
Shows:

iago

Quote from: Bankuei on August 16, 2006, 11:25:25 AM
I think we need more social pressure to let folks know this isn't acceptable.
Really?  You folks are going to draw a line in the sand over people painting their skin black -- like, ink black?  Are you going to write to Peter Jackson and tell him that his portrayal of Orcs as dark-skinned has offended you?  I honestly cannot believe that the portrayal of a fantasy race, in a fashion that's accurate to how that race has been described in decades of literature, complete with white hair, pointy ears, and pointy teeth, is being taken as some sort of sleight against African Americans.

*I* think we need more social pressure to get people to be less flippin' sensitive.

Robert Bohl

Quote from: iago on August 16, 2006, 11:46:38 AM
Quote from: Bankuei on August 16, 2006, 11:25:25 AM
I think we need more social pressure to let folks know this isn't acceptable.
Really?  You folks are going to draw a line in the sand over people painting their skin black -- like, ink black?  Are you going to write to Peter Jackson and tell him that his portrayal of Orcs as dark-skinned has offended you?  I honestly cannot believe that the portrayal of a fantasy race, in a fashion that's accurate to how that race has been described in decades of literature, complete with white hair, pointy ears, and pointy teeth, is being taken as some sort of sleight against African Americans.

*I* think we need more social pressure to get people to be less flippin' sensitive.
I hear you Fred, and I wasn't comfortable enough to tell them I thought what they were doing was messed up.  However, do a google images search on "blackface".  Now compare it to the gen con photos Chris is talking about.  Now compare them to Jackson's Orcs.

The orcs are dark-skinned bad guys.  The drow from Gen Con look very very much like traditional racist characitures.   I don't think they meant to be, but they were.
Game:
Shows:

iago

Quote from: RobNJ on August 16, 2006, 11:49:51 AM
I hear you Fred, and I wasn't comfortable enough to tell them I thought what they were doing was messed up.  However, do a google images search on "blackface".  Now compare it to the gen con photos Chris is talking about.  Now compare them to Jackson's Orcs.

The orcs are dark-skinned bad guys.  The drow from Gen Con look very very much like traditional racist characitures.   I don't think they meant to be, but they were.

So basically, what triggers your "they're being a racist" reaction is whether or not they had Hollywood grade makeup and costuming resources at their disposal?

(Just to be clear, I'm not angry or anything here, but I am sad that I'm seeing so strong a reaction to something that I feel is utterly trivial.  There are far more important things in the world to get upset about, and overreacting to tiny things is what gets touchy-feely liberals -- of which I am one -- a bad name.)

Bankuei

Hi folks,

This is not the thread to debate racial politics.  I highly recommend folks DO some research and see the history of it, or email each other privately if you want to continue discussion.

Chris

iago

Quote from: Bankuei on August 16, 2006, 11:54:17 AMThis is not the thread to debate racial politics.
I agree. I was startled to see it brought up.  I'm dropping it now.

Robert Bohl

Quote from: iago on August 16, 2006, 11:52:49 AM
Quote from: RobNJ on August 16, 2006, 11:49:51 AM

So basically, what triggers your "they're being a racist" reaction is whether or not they had Hollywood grade makeup and costuming resources at their disposal?
I didn't say they're being racist, I said they look like racist characitures.  I don't think they intended to look that way, or had that in mind.  If I thought they were genuinely being racist, then I would be angry rather than laughing at them behind their backs.  It doesn't matter what the reason is, I think that you ought to be responsible when you're dressing up to not go out of the house looking like a hurtful stereotype.
Quote(Just to be clear, I'm not angry or anything here, but I am sad that I'm seeing so strong a reaction to something that I feel is utterly trivial.  There are far more important things in the world to get upset about, and overreacting to tiny things is what gets touchy-feely liberals -- of which I am one -- a bad name.)
To be clear, I'm not outraged, and I'm not filled with hate.  Maybe I overstated before.  I mean it made me a little sick to my stomach, but in the same way that someone who smells like they shat themselves sitting next to me does.  I felt a combination of derision and sadness for them. 
Game:
Shows:

Rob Donoghue

So, on another note entirely, there is a set of photos floating around out there from Emily, Clinton and Iain piling into a photo booth and with a few other folks poking their heads in.  If they do not get scanned and uploaded somewhere, I will cry like a little child.

-Rob D.
Rob Donoghue
<B>Fate</B> -
www.faterpg.com

iago

Quote from: Rob Donoghue on August 16, 2006, 12:44:42 PM
So, on another note entirely, there is a set of photos floating around out there from Emily, Clinton and Iain piling into a photo booth and with a few other folks poking their heads in.  If they do not get scanned and uploaded somewhere, I will cry like a little child.

-Rob D.

Yes! Want!

Matt-M-McElroy

I just added more to Flames Rising, including one or two from Jillian's on Wednesday Night.

Regards,

Matt
"What Are You Afraid Of?"
www.flamesrising.com

Ron Edwards

This thread has as its topic, "looking for photos to post at Flames Rising." This is not a chat-about-photo-thing of your choice thread. Many other sites exist for this purpose.

Chris, a reminder: because something pushes your hot-button, does not demand that you post, especially when you yourself brought it up. Clearly you need to discuss this topic, but this thread provided no reason for you to do it here. Fred, a reminder: when someone posts X, and you say, "H'm, that's a strange or off-topic post for this thread," please self-moderate and refrain from posting. You can see why, I'm sure.

Best, Ron