News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[mechaton] Strategies? Builder Code?

Started by James_Nostack, August 14, 2006, 07:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James_Nostack

I've been dying to play Mechaton, and nearly got to play this weekend but some friends punked out on me.  This leads to a few points:

1.  Vincent, I'm not sure if Mechaton is still in development, or finished, or what--but the two friends I tried to persuade, both read the rules you had on the Lumpley site and decided it looked too complicated.  I don't think Mechaton is complicated at all--it's a lot simpler than the ridiculous mod of Risk that we played--but it might come across that way.  I've noticed that a lot of Mechaton rules development has been a little "fiddly" lately ("in this special circumstance, you can do this little thing here"), but two non-gamers think it's on the complex side already.

2.  To simplify talking about Mechaton strategy, maybe a shorthand?
* M for Movement
* A for Armor
* S for Spotting
* W for Weapon (R for Artillery, D for Direct, H for Hand-to-Hand)
* I for Initiative (i.e., no attachment) -- but you can also use fewer letters.
* X for a placeholder

Thus, J's tachikoma things would be MAHI.

3.  Has anyone figured out optimal army builds?  It looks like AARH might be a good defense unit; MASD would be pretty well rounded (and would benefit from traveling in close formation); and a big army may need an ASS.

4.  Pawing through an enormous cardboard box full of Lego's you haven't touched in 20 years is still fun, but it's also a lot harder on my back.  But damn, Blacktron was awesome.
--Stack

ScottM

I believe he sold a "for real" version at Gen Con.  I haven't seen it up at IPR yet, but I'm guessing (hoping) that it's coming.
Hey, I'm Scott Martin. I sometimes scribble over on my blog, llamafodder. Some good threads are here: RPG styles.

lumpley

I sold out of Mechaton books at GenCon. I'm going to make a few changes to the book and then, yes, sell it through IPR. It'll be there a few weeks from now, probably.

-Vincent