News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[DitV] Generic Townspeople List

Started by gorckat, August 08, 2006, 09:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gorckat

Hey folks!

I recently got my hands on a (apparently older/first edition? its dated 2004, I think, and doesn't have some of the things I've seen mentioned here, like alternate settings) copy of DitV that a friend of mine had printed out ages ago. I'm falling in love with it, having first indie-rpg'd with a copy of Sorcerer he gave me a couple years ago.

I've already put some of the town design concepts into use in a Big Eyes, Small Mouth game I'm running to nice effect- the whole "Say yes or roll dice" is brilliant, as is the 'create a situation, not a story'...that's something I'd pretty much done anyways, except for having an endpoint in mind. I can now see the best seesions of any game I run are when things go so crazy that I have no idea where it will end up, but its a setting I've got a good grasp on. I'd also read some examples in the AP threads about people setting stakes in other games and I'd adopted that to an extent, but now that I see it where it spawned (I think) I have a better understanding of it.

Anyways- I see the list of towns stickied and was wondering if anyone had done the same with 'proto-NPCs'. Unless it changed in a new edition, NPCs are generated by a series of rolls that randomly put dice in Relationships, Traits and Stats (Acuity and such....are they called stats?). I was thinking of a making a spreadsheet that had a good number created (or even created them provided I can get enough IF statements and whatnot nested) and then mail-merging it to print on 3x5 or 4x6 index cards and voila- a Box'o'NPCs! All ya gotta do is grab a card and write in names of things and run with it.

Would it be helpful? Already done?

Cheers!
Cheers
Brian
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us."    — Calvin and Hobbes (Bill Watterson).

Warren

There is Christopher Weeks' Online NPC Generator for Dogs that creates random NPCs in batches of six. There isn't anything I know which will churn out print-ready NPC sheets, but as each one is just a few numbers I copy it onto my own NPC sheets by hand.

cdr

I use a Perl script to print out a page of six proto-NPCs in a very simple but easy to use format.
A copy's available at http://www.flick.com/~cdr/rpg/dogs/ditvnpc.pl .

--Carl

Chris Crouch

I created a java program to create pdfs of npcs, which you can get here:

http://www.users.on.net/~chris.crouch/DitV/

or you can just download a 100-page pdf (~100kb)  of npcs that I created with this program, and just print out a random page:

http://www.users.on.net/~chris.crouch/DitV/npc.pdf

The only caveat: these pages are A4. Should be OK printed on other similar paper sizes though.
Oops, one more caveat: it generates 7 npcs per page not 6, because I could fit 7 on the page. Because of this you'll get slightly fewer free dice per npc.

Chris

Darren Hill

I created an excel worksheet that randomly generates the scores and fills them in on the sheet.
The printout also has all the tables and references you need during play.
It looks like this.
If anyone wants a copy, PM me with your email address and I'll send it out.