News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Selling game play techniques to my GM

Started by Elysium, August 15, 2006, 10:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vulpin

Quote from: Blankshield on August 20, 2006, 07:49:10 PM
Ok, I'm going to be a pedantic ass here and note that you didn't actually give what I asked for.  Useful information, absolutely, in figuring out where the play you want is, but I can't tell from what you posted what the one, single scene of awesome was.  Was it the Everway cards?  The second to last game, something in between? 

Pick a single scene, similar in scope and length to the witch burning scene, that you enjoyed.  I'm not asking for "chorus-of-angels, multiple orgasm, dear-god-that-was-perfect" gaming, just something that was fun to play out.

Beyond that, I've got a set of very system specific questions:

How did you folks use the 20 questions?

How often are Drama dice awarded (above the base "start of Story" amount)?  Related question, how often do you resolve Stories and refresh Drama dice?

How many characters have backgrounds, and how often are they used?

Ditto for Virtues/Hubris?

thanks for being patient as we work through these questions!

James

David has answered the question on Drama Dice quite thoroughly, but I felt a little expansion of the backgrounds and Virtue/Hubris questions is warranted.

Most (if not all) the characters had backgrounds as determined by Fate Spread rather than by player choice.  Personally, I had a future one where someone near and dear to me became "Waisen," one of the mystically shell-shocked (to oversimplify) and a current one involving me hunting for a villain who killed my best friend.  Some time was spent on this, with the villain having a Wile that allowed him to return if defeated/killed.  Unfortunately, when the GM bored of him, his end was handled in a very anticlimactic manner (caught, imprisoned, and head lopped off by the National Barber with us having a little opportunity to gloat or something - not something very knightly).  The Waisen plot was used mostly to put my character in a funk as a side thing, as nothing that was done improved her state (and, the last game, she had taken up autocannibalism - a distinct turn for the worse).

Most of the group also had Hubrises, with only two having Virtues if I remember right.  My own Hubris was Proud (defined in this case as refusing aid or pity), but never came up in game.  This possibly is due to me playing him that way by myself, as I tried to play him as proud if somewhat humble (a hard balancing act, if I say so myself!)

-Vulpin

Blankshield

Quote from: vulpin on August 25, 2006, 07:05:43 PM

David has answered the question on Drama Dice quite thoroughly, but I felt a little expansion of the backgrounds and Virtue/Hubris questions is warranted.

Most (if not all) the characters had backgrounds as determined by Fate Spread rather than by player choice. 

Thanks for the added info, V.  I completely forgot to ask about Fate Spreads... it's been too long since I cracked the cover, and Fate Spreads was something we have never used in our group, except as a last resort when muse had fled.

thanks,

James
I write games. My games don't have much in common with each other, except that I wrote them.

http://www.blankshieldpress.com/