News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Weryth geography questions

Started by Jaif, May 07, 2002, 11:22:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaif

Every year for the week before Memorial Day a bunch of high-school & college buddies of mine go on a vactaion to a cabin in Pennsylvania (some for a week, others a few days).  We eat & drink, game, eat & drink, canoe, and eat & drink. :-)  For the gaming side, I'm thinking this year I might run a 1-shot campaign: a few adventures covering the conquest of Farrenshire by Gelure.  Anyway, I have a few questions about Weryth:

1) If I think of Stahl & Angharad as seperate places, is it proper to say that only Angharad truly borders Ouestenreich?  Farrenshire?

2) Is the political relationship of Stahl & Angharad roughly that of England & Wales (middle ages)?

3) There's an island between Picti, Gelure, & Farrenshire - whose island is that?

4) [Hard for me to describe, so please bear with me.]  I'm trying to understand the boundries SW of Gelure.  It appears that there's a country containing the "City of the Empress".  What is that?  In general, is everything SW of Gelure (the long, tapering peninsula) the remaining part of the Xanarian empire?

I understand that I can make whatever rulings I want, I'm just curious about the design of the world.

-Jeff

Nick the Nevermet

I of course totally defer to Jacob on this... however, I REALLY need to take a break from writing papers, so here's my 2 cents :)

Quote from: Jaif
1) If I think of Stahl & Angharad as seperate places, is it proper to say that only Angharad truly borders Ouestenreich?  Farrenshire?
-Jeff

I'd say so.  The map seems to agree with this

2) Is the political relationship of Stahl & Angharad roughly that of England & Wales (middle ages)?
-Jeff

IIRC, the text on Stahl claims that technically speaking Angharad has a tie to the Stahl High King, but because its so distant, and because Stahl in general has ZERO unity, its treated as a separate country by even Stahlish nobles.  So, politically, I'd guess "kinda"

3) There's an island between Picti, Gelure, & Farrenshire - whose island is that?
-Jeff

I assumed it was another Pictish island.
I was gonna have fun with that... take the worst traits of Gelure and Picti and slap 'em together in one place.  Yee ha!

4) [Hard for me to describe, so please bear with me.]  I'm trying to understand the boundries SW of Gelure.  It appears that there's a country containing the "City of the Empress".  What is that?  In general, is everything SW of Gelure (the long, tapering peninsula) the remaining part of the Xanarian empire?
-Jeff

I noticed that as well.  I assumed that the entire penninsula was Xanarium.  The idea of there being a country that isn't there would be too problematic.

Lyrax

Technically, Stahl owns Angharad, the Pictish islands, Magyarfold, and Savaxen.  In practice, these places rule themselves.  That's why they all (except Magyarfold, probably more on that in a supplement) have their own description in Book Seven: The World of Weyrth.  I think Stahl borders Ouestenreich in more than name, but not Farrenshire.

Not that a Stahlnish army would be stopped by those mewling barbarians... ;-)

If "The City of The Empress" would, logically, be at the Seat of a certain Empire, no?  Ergo, there is one country, not two, on the peninsula.

Perhaps one is sort of like Vatican City, but I think they are more united here than IRL.  Some of the islands down there also belong to the Empire, I think.

In short, Nevermet was pretty much correct.
Lance Meibos
Insanity takes it's toll.  Please have exact change ready.

Get him quick!  He's still got 42 hit points left!

Nick the Nevermet

Quote from: Lyrax
In short, Nevermet was pretty much correct.

woo Hoo!
*Victory dances before a bluebolt from the Divine ends my silliness*

Oh, a substantive point:
The geography is one of many reasons why I think that the future history of Weyrth is going to become farther and farther from the history of our own world.  England's greatest adavtage of being an island nation with enough resources to support itself while using the isolation to its advantage just doesn't seem to be playing itself out on Wyerth.  Or of it is, its progress is much slower.  History would be extremely different if England was connected to France & Germany, instead of being connected to Wales & Scotland.

Another big difference geopgraphically is Xanarium.  Put simply (and probably over-simply), its a combination of Spain and Italy.  this pretty much ensures that the entire Rennasaince (Spelling is a horrible thing), as well of teh exploration of any potential New World will be totally different.

*shrug* I dunno... I never did a lot with alternate histories, but they're fun to think about :)
Or rather, specific to this thread, its interesting to see how geography will help the future of Weyrth ne different than our past.

Jaif

QuoteIf "The City of The Empress" would, logically, be at the Seat of a certain Empire, no? Ergo, there is one country, not two, on the peninsula.

The book listed Xanarium, I believe (it's not in front of me).

There are 3 red dots on the peninsula: The city of the empress, xanarium, and one unidentified one between the name of the kingdom.

-Jeff[/quote]

Lance D. Allen

I'd like to point out that several nations were intentionally left blank, with no description whatsoever. From what it says, there will be no supplement to detail these blank nations, because they have been left blank to allow players and Seneschals to add their own nations and ideas to the setting. I'm not sure without looking exactly which ones are such, but I know that Kudara is one of them, and I believe Magyarfold is another.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Lance D. Allen

I'd like to point out that several nations were intentionally left blank, with no description whatsoever. From what it says, there will be no supplement to detail these blank nations, because they have been left blank to allow players and Seneschals to add their own nations and ideas to the setting. I'm not sure without looking exactly which ones are such, but I know that Kudara is one of them, and I believe Magyarfold is another.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing

Lance D. Allen

~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing

Nick the Nevermet

Yeah, I noticed that as well.
However, there is one major difference here: The other countries that had no descriptions still had a name on the map.  As best as I can tell, there is a 'blank' country on the Xanarium penninsula.

And not even that.  If you follow the boundary thats in the middle of the penninsula, about half way down it just stops.

So, I'm pretty sure the ENtire penninsula is Xanarium, and where the penninsula ends, Gelure starts.

Hmm... i hope that didn't come across as pissy
i'm having a very bad day.
i'm sorry i it did.