News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Divine Favour and rerolls.

Started by Darren Hill, August 18, 2006, 02:54:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Hill

John, in your reply on Luke/abzu's thread, you said that the wrestler could have rerolled all his dice for 2 Divine Favour, if I read you right. But the chart in the book says 2 DF allows you to reroll one die, and 4 DF allows you to reroll all. 2DF does seem a bit steep, but it probably should be more expensive than rolling a 1d6 into the attack. Which is correct?

I did a sample adventure (solo) and in my test fights, I mistakenly used the 1d6 and 1d8 as bonuses on top of rolls, for 2 and 3 divine favour respectively. I realise now that was wrong, but it might actually be a good idea to have something like that (maybe at costs 3 and 4 instead of the costs I used). As it is presently, when you get a max roll you can spend 1 DF to open-end it. Having the ability to roll dice on top when you don't get it, for higher cost, might be useful. I found in my sample fights, once you were badly injured, that being able to roll extra dice became a lot more attractive and could s=justify the 3-pt/4-pt cost I suggested above.

I also wonder if, given that it's 1 DF to roll a 1d6 advantage die, it should only be 2 DF to roll a 1d8 into the pool, rather than the 3 listed. (Yes, the player might be rolling a trait where he doesn't have any d8's, so getting that d8 can be a substantial bonus - I wonder if it's worth that much higher cost though.)

John Harper

When I said he could spend 2 DF to "re-roll his dice" I was referring to the "Attack again" option under Divine Favor. Re-rolling all your dice normally costs 4, yes. In Agon, attacks are generally given preferential treatment, and this is another case of that philosophy.
Agon: An ancient Greek RPG. Prove the glory of your name!

Darren Hill

That's interesting. So defence is much harder than attack.

What about those 1d6/1d8 as bonuses? Are you dead set against them?

John Harper

I'm not dead-set against them, no. But the rules have to be driven by actual play. I can sort of see a hole to be filled by an option like that, but my actual play hasn't shown it to be a real problem so far.
Agon: An ancient Greek RPG. Prove the glory of your name!

Darren Hill

Cool. I'm willing to do without them - as it happens, in the fights I run, Divine Favour tended to be exhausted pretty quickly so those things wouldn't have been available either way!

That reminds me of another DF related question.
The character sheet has 7 spaces left for Divine Favour you gain through the game. You get 1 per quest. The character sheet has boxes for 16 quests...
So, does Diving Favour increase without limit: after completing 16 quests will you have 23 DF? (Okay, after completing 15 quests, will you have 22DF - after all at 16 quests, that's it.)

And if so, can we have a new character sheet with enough boxes, please? Also, one which has the armour box as one of those nifty boxes with impairment boxes in the corners.