News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Sailing

Started by Darren Hill, August 18, 2006, 03:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Hill

The first thing I wondered about when looking at the character sheet - what do you use for Sailing!

I understand that the game is set up so that it is not meant to be an issue. You spend all your time ON islands. But greeks at sea is such a powerful image that I'd want to make quests involve sailing somehow, with some frequency.

I immediately considered adding two extra Craft abilities: Sailing and Artisan, and just as quickly stopped myself. That only creates two extra abilities for people who aren't interested in those things to use as sinks to boost the other Crafts.

How would you recommend handling Sailing, when you want to make it a component of the campaign?

John Harper

I'm interested to hear what other people think on this one, but here's my very unofficial stab at it.

Use Lore for navigation. Use Athletics for handling the sails and climbing around on the ropes. Use Insight for spotting danger on the horizon. Use Music to direct the oarsmen. Use Might when you're on an oar. Use Orate to order the sailors around.

And so on. Most shipboard activities probably fall under one of the current abilities, I think.
Agon: An ancient Greek RPG. Prove the glory of your name!

Darren Hill

I can't speak for anyone else, but that sounds good to me. I'd never have considered the Music one.