News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Woo Hoo. First session of of IRC capes a success.

Started by arcane, August 24, 2006, 09:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arcane

First let me say Tony you rock, the click and lock system deserves a major industry award.

Back story.  Found the Forge, found capes, tried to drum up a game with my local LARP group. They whine "I don't like Table Top, I don't like Super Heroes, Where's the GM."  Fine screw you guys I'm going online.  Had a blast can't wait to do it again. Still beaming 9 hours later.

Now there are those who might say "That sucked it took 3 hours to do 3 pages."  But I look at it as with 5 players, several of whom are playing for the first time, all of whom were doing it in a new medium, with an incomplete, and unfamiliar helper bot,  we were able to play a full scene.

One of the stand out moments for us was towards the end when Filip, the player of a Godling/Simple soul, said "I'm going to react with Sad."  Hans said "I've got to see this."  It did not disappoint.

For next session I know that we will be able to get more things done.  This will be helped by people passing their options more quickly, and having the characters allready sitting in the wiki, so we can just copy a link into the chat, and not have to type out the full set of stats.

Look for a transcription of the narration channel log in Actual Play.

Arcane_NH
Wednesday Night Capes
irc://irc.magicstar.net:6667 #indie_ooc, #indie_nar, and #capes_bot.

Hans

Quote from: arcane on August 24, 2006, 09:27:29 AM
One of the stand out moments for us was towards the end when Filip, the player of a Godling/Simple soul, said "I'm going to react with Sad."  Hans said "I've got to see this."  It did not disappoint.

It did indeed not disappoint.

I had a great time as well.  It was sort of Capes in slow motion, at first, but it sped up as we went and all got used to what we were doing.

Michael (Kai_Lord) deserves acclaim for his IRC CapesBot.  What an awesome tool!  Even with a few bugs it was invaluable.  I'm guessing that was one of its first real trials by fire, and it worked splendidly.

Arcane deserves acclaim for keeping an iron fisted control over whose turn it was to act/react. 

Now, if someone would just write an entire online Capes client...if you write it in Visual Basic I could probably help out with the coding.

I should be there next week, and will try to make it a semi-regular thing.
* Want to know what your fair share of paying to feed the hungry is? http://www3.sympatico.ca/hans_messersmith/World_Hunger_Fair_Share_Number.htm
* Want to know what games I like? http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/skalchemist

Filip Luszczyk

Nice to hear I did not disappoint you, guys ;)

And nothing beats giant robots doing massive property damage in the city ;)

Fun, fun, fun. Four hours passed before I noticed. I haven't really felt things dragging, as usual on irc.

If it becomes regular, I suppose with more than 5 players we could split into two simultaneous scenes at two different "tables". 3-4 players per "table" would go much faster, and no people would be left behind (I suppose there could have been be two more players yesterday, if not for the limit of 5).

(Come to think of it, with good timing it could even be possible to play out three or four different scenes at the same time, in different "rooms", with different configuration of people in each. So that everyone had something to do while waiting for his turn in the other "room". Although switching attention could be a problem.)

Note to myself: I must prepare some characters in advance before the next game.

CapesBot was very useful, although I have to familiarize myself with the commands. Virtual tabletop environment would probably be more comfortable of course. The idea of online client is very good - if someone actually tries to do such thing, I suggest to create it so that it could also be used offline, as a tool for real life sessions.