News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

DitV Variant - Precogs!

Started by coffeestain, August 24, 2006, 01:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coffeestain

I was talking about Minority Report with a friend and a Dogs variant popped into my head.  Check it out:

Dogs are precognitives.  Maybe they have some other abilities as well.  They can see terrible things that are going to happen (murder, catastrophe, crime, whatever) and they're in a unique position to be able to stop it.

Towns are timelines.  At one end is something pretty mundane, but it spirals out of control and leads to something terrible at the other end.  Instead of starting at the far end, when everything's turned to shit, the game starts closer to the beginning of the timeline.  Timeline advancement is based on scene framing requirements due to Fallout, much like in Afraid.

The Dogs would have a unique moral perspective on the matter because they can see what's going to happen at the end and they have to ask the question: how far will I go to stop this thing that's about to happen?

Are there any large holes in this being a fun and attractive Dogs variant?  I'm having a hard time figuring out how to structure the timeline and hierarchy of sins, but I'm sure it can be done.

Regards,
Daniel

oliof

As it is very easy to have a dog with "I can see the future 3d10", I don't think too much retooling would be needed. You should only worry about the timeline after rebuilding the sin progression, since town creation already includes the possible future of a town... if the dogs never came.

Still, the dogs-as-precogs need a strong authority role as well as a basic (in other words - ambigious) set of moral guidelines to judge people.