News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[TSOY] Martial Artist ?

Started by BobbyKearan, August 24, 2006, 11:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobbyKearan

Just brainstorming on how to accomplish something...

Dirty :

Scrapping
Secret of Speciality - Scrapping : Unarmed Combat (or "ninjitsu", etc)

Use Athletics to assist scrapping for cool moves.
Secret of Synergy to use the combo in BDTP

Issues - All Vigor based... just brute strength, basically.  An artist relies on agility - something with Instinct base (like Stealth) ; and even a quick mind - Reason based.

Ideas:

Secret of the Martial Artist
Your character has studied the art of fighting, even focused on one style.  Choose one 'fighting' skill (Scrapping, Sword-play, etc. Must be chosen when secret is taken) and may use React skill to add bonus die to that skill, even in BDTP.  Can choose either Vigor or Instinct harm.  (just brute damage or hitting areas to hinder movement)

Or

Skill - Agility (Instinct : feats of grace, balance and speed.  Sumersaults, tightrope walking and slight of hand as well as dodging.

Use Agility to replace Athletics in the "Dirty" scenario.

Frank T

Hi Bobby,

Did you notice the skill "Uptenbo" and the "Secret of Kinetic Redirection" in the Zaru culture description?

Your Secret of the Martial Artist is a specialized version of the Secret of Synergy, only without having to spend pool points. My gut feeling tells me that it is too powerful. How about: "Can spend points from any pool for bonus dice in Combat, up to one point from each pool per action"?

- Frank

BobbyKearan

Yeah, it is kinda too powerful.  Uptenbo is just a skill... not much to it.

I think the best way to accomplish what I want is to stick with the existing rules... make a skill based on instinct for my "agility" based fighting art... maybe use secret of speciality with it... and perhaps couple it with synergy...

Secret of Synergy allows you to use any combinations of skills.... ...  Secret of Martial Artist would only allow that one combo.  Could use some tweaking still...

What about the "Agility" skill?  I think its okay and useful.

Secret of Martial Artist : Your character has studied fighting and anatomy.  Practice makes perfect and fighting is not just brute force, but speed and agility.  May spend from both Vigor and Instinct pools, up to one from each per action, for bonus die on fighting skills.  If doing harm, may choose either Vigor or Instinct harm.

This would allow up to two bonus die on a fighting action, one from vigor one from instinct and choosing harm is just a 'special effect' - but it would also allow one to keep fighting a lot longer... or keep spending pools in a fight. :D

How is that one?