News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Gritty supplements

Started by Jaif, May 10, 2002, 11:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaif

Ok, call me lazy but sometimes I'd just like to grab a module, change the city name to my campaign city, and run with it.  Unfortunately, in today's d20 climate more is better, and every single module I see is high fantasy with many races, lots of magic, big dungeons, lots of traps, lots and lots and lots of magic items.

I know I can convert these, but at a certain point the amount of work necessary, or the amount I need to trim, makes it wiser for me just to make my own adventures.

Does anybody know a good source for low-magic, grittier adventures?

-Jeff

Valamir

EBay.

Look for old Chivalry and Sorcery modules or, if you want something more swashbuckling, old Flashing Blades modules

Jake Norwood

Pendragon adventures are generally very well written and, if you're going for the knightly thing, would fit in with TROS pretty well--I'm referring to the side adventures, not the "Interact with Arther and the Table Round" metaplot ones. Perilous forest has a really cool adventure in particular that would convert well to TROS. A lot of the old Warhammer FRPG adventures are real gritty and dirty (especially, say, shadows over bogenhaffen) and would work pretty well as well. I've got an adventure outlined (based in part on forum discussion) that I might throw up on the site when it's done.

Gamers First.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Jaif

Good point about warhammer.  I can't run many of them because my friends are all running warhammer campaigns with those modules.  However, I do have a module from Hogshead - "Dying of the Light", I think - that I may convert wholesale to Riddle and see what happens.  If it works, maybe they'll get Riddle too and then I can play! :-)

Btw, this is all for my 1-shot campaign I mentioned in another thread.  Once a year a bunch of high-school/college buddies of mine gather for the week leading to memorial day and hang-out in a cabin in PA.  I intend to bludgeon them repeatedly with Riddle until they learn that playing-dirty is the way to go.

-Jeff

Clinton R. Nixon

I was this close to running the entire Enemy Within campaign for Warhammer with Riddle of Steel.

I decided not to in the end (mainly because I liked the Riddle's setting so much - awesome job there), but it's still tempting as hell. And you'd get to make all sorts of nifty skill packages to simulate Warhammer a little better - rat catcher, anyone?
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Bladesinger

I could recomend anything written by Micheal Moorcock in the Stormbringer/Elric/Melnibone stories,or Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories,as inspiration for rpg plots,or backrounds
BLARG!....................Eddie