News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Monster Killing

Started by Darren Hill, August 26, 2006, 08:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Hill

I have a couple of NPCs I plan to post to the NPC thread, but I'm having trouble thinking of special ways to kill them.

According to the rules, each Monster has some special way to kill it. The thing that throws me is that Centaurs and Giants are on that list. I imagined they'd just be treated as Men who happen to be shaped differently.
What special way to kill them would be appropriate?

This is important, because one of the monsters I am designing is a Giant, and I can't think what sort of thing would be appropriate to kill it (other than hitting it repeatedly).

I also have a 6-armed, snake-bodied female guardian bound by a sorcerer. Any suggestions for thematic ways to kill it?

iago

Quote from: Darren Hill on August 26, 2006, 08:04:32 AM
I have a couple of NPCs I plan to post to the NPC thread, but I'm having trouble thinking of special ways to kill them.

According to the rules, each Monster has some special way to kill it. The thing that throws me is that Centaurs and Giants are on that list. I imagined they'd just be treated as Men who happen to be shaped differently.
What special way to kill them would be appropriate?

This is important, because one of the monsters I am designing is a Giant, and I can't think what sort of thing would be appropriate to kill it (other than hitting it repeatedly).

I also have a 6-armed, snake-bodied female guardian bound by a sorcerer. Any suggestions for thematic ways to kill it?

Honestly?  I'm going to throw some giants at my players, and I think I'm going to make them Men, unless I can think of a good reason (I.E., a weakness) to make them Monsters.  The categories are pretty free & loose, if you ask me.

Darren Hill

Now that I've done a little research, I've found some (a lot of) precedent for Giants who need specific means to kill them. As well as some that don't. So, yeah, I agree - it does look like you can do them either way. It's just that Monster table in the Island design chapter which has Centaurs and Giants on it that threw me. Being too literal.