News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Nine Worlds - ¿similar to Nobilis?

Started by Silgaer, August 27, 2006, 06:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silgaer

Hello everybody,
i'm totally new in this forum and in the world of indie rpgs. Maybe you can help me.
¿Is NW similar to Nobilis? if not in mechanics ¿similar background?

Thanks in advance to all.

Matt Snyder

Hello and welcome!

Nine Worlds is similar to Nobilis. It is a game about characters who possess incredible powers, able to work miracles and magic, and who face tough decisions about who rules the universe and why.

I can't explain very well any similarities in the two game systems, as I'm mostly unfamilar with Nobilis' rules. I will say that I did have games like Nobilis, Mage: The Ascension, and Amber: Diceless Roleplaying in mind when I created Nine Worlds.

Nine Worlds does not use dice, but it does use playing cards (standard "poker decks" of 52 cards + 2 jokers). The game emphasizes shared player input in creating the story. It does have a game master in a mostly traditional role, but players often find they have much more authority to create the game's story than they have had in other games they've played.

The game heavily involves Greek, but gives the myths a modern twist. The book contains a succinct setting and history chapter to explain the game's universe, and then advises players to make it their own.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have other questions! Also, some other Nine Worlds fans are far better versed in Nobilis, and might be able to explain how the two compare better than I can.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

Ben Lehman

Hi Silgaer and welcome to the Forge.

Do you have a real name that I can use?  I like to call people by their real names in online discussion if I can.

I'm going to try to answer your question, but if you have any more specific questions about the game please let me know.

Nine Worlds is similar to Nobilis in scope (cosmic drama) and some bits of tone (massive beauty and otherworldliness) but it is based on ancient Greek religion so the cosmos is considerably more human and emotional than the gnostically based Nobilis cosmos. 

Additionally and more importantly, in Nine Worlds the characters play people who will come to grow and pose a challenge to the powers that run the very world itself, sitting in judgement over whether the Gods themselves are worthy to be Gods over the universe.  In Nobilis, by contrast, the characters may be powerful, but ultimately their power is static and their role in the world is both comparatively small and pre-established.  Nine Worlds is about making the change you want to see in the world, whether you support the Gods (as I did when I played) or oppose them.

Does that help answer your question?

yrs--
--Ben

Silgaer

Thanks to both!

Your answers are very useful, just what i want (one for the rules, one for the background). Maybe when i come back of my holidays's trip i buy Nine Worlds via web.

Quote from: Matt Snyder on August 27, 2006, 10:16:01 PM
The game emphasizes shared player input in creating the story. It does have a game master in a mostly traditional role, but players often find they have much more authority to create the game's story than they have had in other games they've played.
The game heavily involves Greek, but gives the myths a modern twist. The book contains a succinct setting and history chapter to explain the game's universe, and then advises players to make it their own.

This sounds great! I like the games with a heavy emphasis on the characters and players weaving the story.

Quote from: Ben Lehman on August 28, 2006, 01:51:29 AM
Do you have a real name that I can use?  I like to call people by their real names in online discussion if I can.

Sorry for that, i forgot to sign my last post. My real name is Jonathan.

Quote from: Ben Lehman on August 28, 2006, 01:51:29 AM
Nine Worlds is similar to Nobilis in scope (cosmic drama) and some bits of tone (massive beauty and otherworldliness) but it is based on ancient Greek religion so the cosmos is considerably more human and emotional than the gnostically based Nobilis cosmos. 

Additionally and more importantly, in Nine Worlds the characters play people who will come to grow and pose a challenge to the powers that run the very world itself, sitting in judgement over whether the Gods themselves are worthy to be Gods over the universe.  In Nobilis, by contrast, the characters may be powerful, but ultimately their power is static and their role in the world is both comparatively small and pre-established.  Nine Worlds is about making the change you want to see in the world, whether you support the Gods (as I did when I played) or oppose them.

Does that help answer your question?

yrs--
--Ben

Your answer has made my decission of buying NW very much easy. Thanks.

Best regards,

Jonathan.

Silgaer

Ben, when i say that i like games with a heavy emphasis in characters and players weaving the story, i forgot to say that polaris is on my "To Buy" list. This game is calling my attention in a hard way.

Jonathan.