News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Shooting The Moon, Rules Questions.

Started by jburneko, October 25, 2006, 02:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jburneko

Hello,

First let me say that I think Shooting The Moon is excelent!  I've been waiting for a romantic rivals game for quite some time.  I do have some questions though.

1) No where in the game does the it say what die size to use.  I realize that the resolution is similar to the one used in Sorcerer and so ANY size will do as long as it's uniform across the group but I was wondering what was in mind when the game was written.  The examples in the book seem to imply d6s.

2) I'm confused about what constitues a tie.  The example on page 21 seems to imply that you do the Sorcerer thing of canceling tied dice until you find a pair that isn't tied.  However, that implies that a TRUE tie isn't possible unless ALL the dice rolled are tied which seems to clash with other things in the rules such as the phrase "Re-roll just the tied dice...".

3) I'm not quite sure how to read the end game results.  If the Beloved wins what happens to the Suitors?  Do you still compare them seperately or have they lost completely?

Thanks.

Jesse

Emily Care

Hi Jesse,

Thanks for the questions!  The dice used are standard six-sided dice. 

Ties occur when players roll the same number of the highest value dice. For example, if you rolled 6-6-3-4 and I rolled 6-5-5-1, we compare the dice that have the highest value: in this case all the 6s rolled. You would win in this example, since you have two sixes.  However if I'd rolled 6-6-5-1, it would be a tie. You don't compare the dice all the way down the values.

Sometimes people get to roll more dice in the case of a tie. If it is a Suitor turn, the Suitor player gets to roll the Second Pool of dice if they agree to a new complication to the events and have something added to their character. If the additional dice rolled don't break the tie, then both players pick up the tied dice and reroll them. So, in the example above we'd both pick up the two dice that had come up as 6s.  Ties in three player games give the player of the Beloved special powers to create traits for the other players' characters.

And for the end game, if the Beloved wins, that character's goal comes true and the Suitors' do not gain the Prize.  However, the Beloved's player may choose for their character to go with one or the other of the Suitors. Or not, it is their choice.  One thing I'd like to add to the text is that if the winning rolls are a tie between the Beloved's player and a Suitor, that both of these character's goals may be fulfilled.  But if the winning rolls are a tie between two suitors, they would be re-rolled.

Does that clarify things?  I'm glad you've been looking for a romantic rivalry game. I'm curious to see what you think of the way you get to nail other peoples characters with traits in the game, and add to your own. Have fun!

all the best,
Emily
Koti ei ole koti ilman saunaa.

Black & Green Games

Emily Care

Quote from: Emily Care on October 31, 2006, 04:23:21 PMOne thing I'd like to add to the text is that if the winning rolls are a tie between the Beloved's player and a Suitor, that both of these character's goals may be fulfilled.  But if the winning rolls are a tie between two suitors, they would be re-rolled.

Actually, the jury's still out for me on the second option there. Currently if the Suitors win in a tie, they both lose. It might be best to have the players set the end conditions at the start of play with differing degrees of harshitude.

best,
Emily
Koti ei ole koti ilman saunaa.

Black & Green Games