News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Contenders] Indy Gen Con play report.

Started by Joe J Prince, August 31, 2006, 08:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe J Prince

I've posted this on the PoD Games forum I thought I should post this in a forum where it might get read too. ;)

Better late than never. Thanks Malcolm for requesting this.

Throughout Gen Con 2006 I was promoting my first printed RPG - Contenders. I ran several demos and a couple of longer games. I'm really pleased with how the game played and the responses I got.

I ran the demo many times and it never got boring for me, I enjoyed every demo I ran. I think the design of the game & the scene structure in particular lent itself well to demo play. I could fit in a couple of set-up scenes (usually connections) and run a short boxing match per demo. This showcased most game mechanics and gave the players a good deal of role-play time - which eased the pressure on my GMing!  Contenders is designed to run GM-less, which meant I merely acted as a facilitator.

The pre-gens I used for the demo worked fine, to me they highlighted the importance of Connections. The Connection that drew the greatest response was AL Simmons's street kid pal Charlie. No-one wanted to see him become a statistic. :(

The full length session I ran with Remi & Kevin on a regular Gen Con slot was great. I got to play a Contender too and we managed to run through a complete story in four hours! We did run at a breakneck pace and cut out NPC boxers to amp up the conflict and pacing. With only three players this worked well, we gamed hard and role-played hard. It was great to conclude another con game. Even if my boxer ended up getting deported and Remi's guy finished up a junkie bum watching his mentor die in the ring. At least Kevin's boxer returned a champion and finally got his brother to quit the gang lifestyle.

Sadly, for the Saturday session of Contenders, only Kevin (a different Kevin) turned up. Hi Kevin! I managed to rustle up Clinton Nixon, Jason Morningstar and Monica Valentinelli from the booth to play a short game. Thanks guys, you're all ace! So we got a few rounds in. Jason's vs Clinton's character in a back alley bout was a joy to behold.  Contenders is great when players don't hold back! It was a shame we couldn't play a little longer and I'm annoyed that the Gen Con website said Contenders was fully booked that evening. Sorry Kevin. Sons of Kryos's Judd & Jeff  also had a very memorable match recorded (I hope). Pwnd!

I also think that actual play helped me understand the importance of situation in demoing games. Contenders benefitted greatly by having a focused situation and setting.
"Its like Las Vegas. You're boxers strapped for cash."

And mechanics that require the GM to do as little as possible are a blessing! At some point I will get the demo packs up on my website in pdf form. A big thanks to everyone at Indy Gen Con for supporting this game.

For more on how the game plays, checkout Ron Edwards's Contenders actual play post over here . The coolest thing is that it's with non-roleplayers and they enjoy the game! Thanks Ron it was ace to have such interesting real play feedback and discussion arise from the game.

Cheers,
JoE

Jason Morningstar

I loved playing Contenders, Joe.  Now I know that if I ever have to have a fistfight with Clinton, I should start dirty and stay dirty. 

Malcolm Craig

One thing that really struck me duringt he demo was the actual boxing element. After reading Contenders, I still wasn't sold on that part of it (although i still thought it was an awesome game). I was imagining the boxing part to be procedural and mechanical, but not at all! I really got drawn in to narrating the rounds of the fight and thoroughly enjoyed it. For me, this was the one part of the game that the demo really cleared up for me, making me even more keen to play on!

Cheers
Malcolm
Malcolm Craig
Contested Ground Studios
www.contestedground.co.uk

Part of the Indie Press Revolution

Jason Morningstar

Definitely.  I approached it from the point of view of someone who has less than no interest in boxing, has never seen a boxing movie, and I was immediately captivated. 

Matt Machell

Contenders clever trick is in giving you an up front reason to care about the fights, cos you care about the money and how it can be used to help your contacts in need. The hope of something better keeps your guy going back to the ring, and that's engaging even if you care not a jot for boxing. The demo managed to get that across really well.

-Matt

PS. I watched Bugsy Malone over the weekend, the "So you wanna be a boxer" song seems just too appropriate not to add to a Contenders soundtrack...

Remi Treuer

I had a fantastic time playing contenders. I'd like to slow down and play out a game over a couple evenings, just to get a little more roleplay with my and other's NPCs.

One thing that I liked that you haven't mentioned is that our network of NPCs was really tight. We had the crooked fight promoter (who was one of Kevin's NPCs if I remember correctly), we had the Gangster, and a couple others, but whenever we needed a heavy or someone to be in peril or to start up a fight, it involved one of those two NPCs. This reincorporation was really neat and gave the game a very nice, claustrophobic air that allowed the fights to get really, really personal.

Man, I fought dirty constantly . . . but to no avail.