News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

You play the Elemental!

Started by Altharis, August 31, 2006, 06:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam Dray

Ack! I didn't mean to scare him! I meant to encourage and excite him. I need to learn to use my words. What I meant is, I want to see this game develop. Please start recording it so you can share with us what's in your head.

I find that (for me at least) it's all theory till the first words hit the paper (or keyboard or whatever). Then everything changes. Right now you have cool ideas. I can give you more cool ideas but then I'm stomping all over your design. Nail down one corner and then start building on it and share what you do with us!

At some point, you'll have enough to playtest. I don't mean a finished game. I don't mean even a completely written unfinished game. But maybe you have a conflict resolution mechanic or a character generation system or something like that. Playtest it. Run through a few conflicts with a friend or even on your own. Make a few characters. Then go to the Playtesting forum and post what you learned and we can talk about problems.

If you're still at the cool idea stages and need help, post a question or thought here and we can riff with you. That's what we're here for!

Also, let me pimp the online chat community. Log into Foundry MUSH (legendary.org 5000) with a mudclient like SimpleMU or Atlantis or TinyFugue or connect to the #indierpgs IRC channel on magicstar.net. On either place, you can chat with us realtime about your game and our games.
Adam Dray / adam@legendary.org
Verge -- cyberpunk role-playing on the brink
FoundryMUSH - indie chat and play at foundry.legendary.org 7777

Altharis

Hey all,
While out camping yesterday, my friend (who I'd involved in the design since day one) suggested that we give playing a shot.
I'd already tested the nameless system, so i readily agreed, changing a few of the rules.
For more info check the playtesting board under "Elementalia".
Cheers,
Altharis

Altharis

The post is up, so go and check! Warning: it's long.

Cheers,
Altharis

Altharis

Hi all, I'm a bit disappointed with the total lack of response, but i'll get over it.
I'm taking it that either I a) did something wrong. b) cheesed off someone or c) posted at a wrong date and let it sink to the bottom of the boards.
I'm coming up with a list of variants, which differentiate Elementalia from Nameless, so expect that to come soon.
I've just arrived in germany at the moment and i am so excited, down side is my more limited internet access.
Cheers,
Altharis

Ron Edwards

Hi there,

Let's stick with the Playtesting thread and let this one rest. You'll get lots of discussion there, but it's also a lot slower than here. There's plenty of interest in your game, but you won't promote that by bumping this thread or by complaining.

We're with ya. Sometimes it's important just to let us think, though.

Best, Ron