News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Magic in Agon?

Started by Willow, September 30, 2006, 07:21:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willow

From what I can recall from the Iliad and the Oddessy, oh, who am I kidding? Hercules and Xena, sorcerers are all over ancient Greece.

Evil sorcerers are easy to model: the various NPC powers can easily model spells.

PC sorcerers are a more difficult problem.  The easiest way I suppose would be to make magic a prop for the basic ability uses- your hero has a high Lore or Cunning or Spirit or whatever *because* he's a sorcerer.  (That magic missile spell?  Works just like a Javelin.  Know how to shoot bolts of eldritch energy?  Works just like a bow.  They use the same skills and everything!)  This also works well for Creative abilities.

What I think I'm really looking for is something cool with heroic traits to give extra options for maybe Spirit or Insight (perhaps with some sort of impairment cost.)  Ideas?

John Harper

Hey Willow,

That's how I'd handle PC magic, too. I wouldn't go crazy with impairment costs and such for heroic traits, though, unless you want to really change the landscape of competition between PCs.

Something like "Speaker to the Dead" might be a cool heroic trait to boost Lore and Spirit.
Agon: An ancient Greek RPG. Prove the glory of your name!

Shreyas Sampat

I haven't thought this through, but once I tossed around the idea of having characters make single-use weapons with unusual properties (use the monster abilities as a guide maybe), to imitate D&D spells. (That's obviously not your inspiration here, but I wanted to throw it out somewhere.)