News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[HeroQuest] Lifting the Veil

Started by Web_Weaver, September 21, 2006, 12:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Web_Weaver

No, strike that, I have been mulling over this since I sent the last post, and I have fallen foul of something that I often warn others of.

I am a trainer of adults by trade, and I think I am attempting to coach my players in how to play my game. This is not only a bad idea, it is just plain wrong. I am treating the players as people who need to learn by my example instead of people who are fully capable of learning by exploration.

So I should just do option three, as it isn't my job to dictate play style, it is simply my job to present the dramatic situations and smooth over differences in play for the benefit of everyone.

That make more sense?

Web_Weaver

How to tie a knot in three easy stages
or How not to play HeroQuest
[/size]

Step One
First lay out a piece of string, making sure there are no tangles.

HeroQuest is essentially a simple game, you narrate until a conflict occurs, you enumerate the goals of that conflict, roll dice to resolve the conflict, use this to work out the consequences of the conflict, then narrate the outcome of the conflict.

Step Two
Loop the string

What I did was fine until the dice roll, but instead of just working out the consequences, I applied what should have been a transparent technique, then drew attention to said technique and stated it was cool. I then stopped the scene dead.

Step Three
Push one end of the string through the loop such that it is caught in it

A few days later a player asked "why was that technique cool, you didn't get to narrate the outcome", but all I heard was "why do you consider that cool when I don't".

Step Four
Pull both ends tight

So for two or more fruitless hours we proceeded to argue over the question, both not realising we were arguing two totally different things. Probably because we were both using the accumulated nonsensical language that we had picked during approximately 20 years of roleplaying.

Ron Edwards

Strangely, I lost a post. When you asked, "make sense?", I responded "yes." I don't know what happened to that post.

Anyway, at this point, I'm reasonably sure there's no point in restricting the conversation to just you and me any more. The knot is apparently identified and I'm not really doing much now except cheerleading. So, anyone, dive on in. Callan, thanks for stepping back a little; again, that had nothing to do with the content of your posts.

Best, Ron

Web_Weaver

Thanks for your input Ron.

You did exactly what I wasn't doing, by giving me some structured thought and allowing me to work myself through it.

But best of all, on the way to the knot I learnt a lot more, basically by leaving the hardest question until last. The scary thing is as soon as I spotted my knot I had a full on realisation of the whole problem, right down to the exact moment that the problem became an issue for the player. Hence my slightly odd last thread, which was a cathartic exercise and as such a little self indulgent, but I hope it made some sense. Typing it all out as an exact description of my realisation would have taken too long.

OK, looking back on the thread, I can't think of anything to add to it. So I will summarise, what I will try and do next:

I will endeavour to let the game and any changes I make, speak for themselves, and not try and sell them by pointing out my methods.

Related to that, I will make clear that I am not making everything up as we go along, even if some flexibility is required.

I will fill out NPCs that the players take interest in, with at least an equal effort to those in which I am interested.

Actually, that last one is so blindingly obvious to a narrativist style, I am surprised I fell into the trap, but I am still learning the ropes.

I am tempted to start an atmosphere thread straight away, as I have two or three clear examples from my games, but I need a rest from this thread lark!